Sign in to follow this  

Crank Balancing

I've searched the forums and I can't find a definite answer. If one buys a brand new Hot Rods Crank and builds a big bore 250F with it, does said crank need to be balanced?

Would it be a better option to rebuild the stock crank with a new rod?

Many people did install their new crank directly into their cases, IMO is i was to spend cash to rebuild my motor i would pay the extra 50-100$ to make sure the crank is straight.

Thanks. Next question: Would it be ok to let a local race car/hot rod shop balance the crank? I assume balancing a motorcycle crank would be the same concept as balancing a race car crank right?

Straight does not mean blaanced.

Most cranks are blaanced for an average stock weight piston. If you had a cast stock piston and go for a forged, there is a significant weight difference and unless you get the crank balanced, you will get more vibes.

Keep in mind, a thumper wil always vibrate. All you can do is reduce it and deal witn the harmonics. I am no expert on this but I have gone through it. typcally, with a single, they use a 'balance factor' in the neighborhood of 55~65%.

A single cylinder crank cannot be balanced per se. All you can do is move around the imbalance into rpm ranges that are not used often, or less destructive.

Personally, I would never bring a motorcycle crank to a auto mechanic/hop up shop. They won't have the proper knowledge of how to get the best balance for your exact application like a dedicated motorcycle race motor builder would.