Sign in to follow this  

YZ hub ?s for older bikes.

Anyone know if its possible to fit 99+ hubs on a 96 Yz 250? Wanna get new rims and hubs but I know the axle diameter is different. Are there any other differences that would prevent this from working or is it a matter of fitting the hub with the 96 bearings?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant find hubs anywhere for my bike unless I have them custom made which is entirely too much money! Anyone ever tried this or heard of it being done?

Thanks ~ Brian

You would need the newer spacers and maybe the axle but it should work like that. Just to be sure hopefully someone that has tried will reply.

I tried to mount a rear '98 wheel on a new bike. it was too wide. The spacing between the rotor and sprocket was too far. I think the front works.

well you could try a newer swingarm to be able to use a newer rear hub.

yep....'99 and up are different....had this problem on my 98.....look at a stock hub....and lace it in to any wheel you want.....the axle diameter is larger on newer bikes so where your axle goes through you swingarm you can't use newer hardware......or take your wheel bearings to an industrial bearing supplier.....and KNOW the late model O.D. wheel bearing size you need....(the inner diameter of the bearing surface in the newer hub).....and have them match you up bearings with the correct O.D. for the late model wheels....using your older bikes axle diameter.....:smashpc:

ps.....the fronts will bolt on....using correct spacers...through 2001 I believe....2 or 4 stroke...

When they went to the larger diameter in 99 (I think 20mm to 22mm), they also eliminated 1 of the drive side bearings. That is probably why the older hub is wider.