650R vs 650L

Just sold my 650R, too many glitches - hanging throttle, hard to start, got hot --- I went through the uncorking and too much other effort to get it "right". That bike was fast, but not right for me.

I love Honda's and am considering an "L". I am a casual rider, FS roads, some single track, paved between here and there, no freeway. Don't need to go really fast, just want something with power, ease and reliability - live in ride in the Sierra Nevada and don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I don't want to buy an "L" if there are same issues as I experienced on the 650R. Any thoughts or experiences?

Also would like feedback on the number of miles on a used "L" that would be a potential problem. Have an eye on bike with 4,600 for $3,200 - it's an '07.

Thanks

I like my 650L more than I did my 650R. R is a great bike if you ride fast and/or race.

For a putt putt like me the more docile L is more relaxed and easier to ride.

Doesn't spit coolant and has the magic button. (R is a MOTHER to start when hot and then shut off and want to restart)

Add a 10.5 piston and cam and exhaust to split the power difference between stock L and R.

JMO

6fiddy003.jpg

Just sold my 650R, too many glitches - hanging throttle, hard to start, got hot --- I went through the uncorking and too much other effort to get it "right". That bike was fast, but not right for me.

I love Honda's and am considering an "L". I am a casual rider, FS roads, some single track, paved between here and there, no freeway. Don't need to go really fast, just want something with power, ease and reliability - live in ride in the Sierra Nevada and don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I don't want to buy an "L" if there are same issues as I experienced on the 650R. Any thoughts or experiences?

Also would like feedback on the number of miles on a used "L" that would be a potential problem. Have an eye on bike with 4,600 for $3,200 - it's an '07.

Thanks

The L sounds like a good match for you and you'll love the magic button after kicking the R. I bought my 97 L, 3 yrs ago for $1800 with 6000mi and have had a blast on it with no problems, just upgrades. Were the L shines is, fire rds, jeep-quad trails and open single track. Were you feel the weight is tight, rocky, rutted single track in the woods, she'll still do it, you just got to work harder, and not as fast as a R, or my cr500. I'm a Honda guy too, but I ride with a friend that has a 97 Suzuki DR650, and although the XRL is slightly better in the trails, the DR and XRL are very similar.

I had an older XR600R and really enjoyed the bike. Ran it hard and it had gobs of power on the bottom. Topped out a little low on the speed scale, but you could make it stand up with just a twist of the throttle in the first three gears, and sometimes even on the bottom of fourth. I recently went with a 2001 XR650L and while it doesn't have the grunt down bottome (part if it is the stock sprocket combination) I really enjoy the versatility of this bike. I ride this back and forth to school (about 1 hour each way each day) and some of that is on the interstate. I jump on the four lane with no problems and slide right into traffic with no fear, it keeps up more than fine! Fire roads are like candy for this thing, it loves it. The only time I miss my 600R is when I'm in the twisty trails with rocks and roots. The stock gearing is lacking for that type of driving. A spare set of sprockets lowered geared and this would be fine in that circumstance as well. That's just my personal experience, but I hope that helps you with your descision!

I got an '07 650L in excellent plus condition wit 3400 miles on it in April for $3200, and have been extremely satisfied. Dynajet kit and a low speed jet, desmogged, and a few mods for personal preferences and all I do is add gas, lube the chain, check stuff and ride it.

The 650L is an OK bike out of the box, but has a weight problem (350# ready to ride) and lackluster suspension. It will need some tweaking (see Dave's mods) to get it to run satisfactorily and ABSOLUTELY NEEDS suspension work to make it a pleasure to ride, particularly off road. Don't worry about hopping up the engine, it works very well in conjunction with revalved/resprung suspension. For off road, a fork brace is a good addition.

The L is a good bike I have a 97 and just about ready to turn 49k on her. Just do the daves mods change your oil frequent and adjust valves every 4k and she will love you back. I ride it every day on the freeway 75mph no prob.

Your "R" sounds like it may have had some issues. Perhaps it needed jetting and/or a valve adjustment? I have two and although they do sometimes take a few kicks on a cold morning when it's been sitting for a while, most of they time they both start right up with no issues. I also haven't had a boil over past the break-in period, but I keep it moving and run a 1.6 ATM cap. Perhaps it wasn't a maintenance issue and your "R" was just a lemon, but IMO the "R" is worth the time to figure out and get it right.

Of course, as an "R" owner, I may be a bit biased. :smashpc:

Thanks

Hard to start? Got hot? My "R" starts very easy hot or cold (because its jetted right). And it runs a whole lot cooler jetted right...

They built the 650R for the Baja 1000 and they made it as reliable as a motorcycle can get. The "L" is just as reliable or maybe more reliable (not water cooled) but won't keep up with an "R" on any terrain... except it being more comfortable on the road. Each have they're perks :smashpc:

It sounds like you had some jetting issues and maybe some simple valve adjustments we're in need but you sold it because of that???!

Many yrs ago had a XL500r, XR500r, XL600r.

Last few Honda thumpers were XR600r, XL650L, XR650r and now riding another 650r.

The XR600r was a freakin great bike! Uncorked, jetted right and ran super.

0 probs and dead reliable and FUN to ride. Had a street plate on it too.

The 650L was just ok. Uncorked, DJ kit, supertrapp, bigger plastic tank and r rear fender/light. Was a good bike but too heavy, boring power and wallowy suspension. The XR600r was a more fun engine.

The 650R is a LOT of FUN. Uncorked, jetted right with better bars and controls, a Vapor speedo and Trailtech headlight. Street plated.

This motor is motorcycle nirvana IMO. It chugs down low, it rips thru the midrange and it screams out on top. It is super reliable and tough.

I actually like the fact that it is kick only and requires of it's operator discipline and focus to start it...hell didn't even put a key on it!! lol

I jetted it on the fatter side and it runs and starts great hot or cold.

It's not for everyone for sure.

If/When I come across a clean low hr XR600R I will buy it.

I am also going to SuperMoto the 650R I have now and will also pick up another clean low hr one to keep in desert trim.

The XR600r was a freakin great bike! Uncorked, jetted right and ran super.

0 probs and dead reliable and FUN to ride..

Truer words were never spoken...I had a stock '91 XR600 and a '98 628, two of the most fun dirt bikes in my alleged memory.