Sign in to follow this  

why no electric starter?

I was just wondering why the only mx bike with an electric starter is Ktm. Everyone gets tired kicking their bikes everytime they go down so why dont all the companies have electric starters. Sure it adds a little extra weight but it helps A LOT!

does ktm have both on their bikes?

The off-road bikes do. The 4T MX versions don't. Make sense. You don't get 20 miles from the staging area on the MX track.

I love the magic button on my 450 XCRW. I ditched the lead acid battery for a Super B lithium and that negates the very small weight penalty of the electric starter.:smashpc: The "puss" comments from the nay sayers are funny too. I smile while they kick and I exercise my right thumb. 👍

The off-road bikes do. The MX versions don't. Make sense. You don't get 20 miles from the staging area on the MX track.

isnt that a good thing that the off road bikes do have kick start and elec? i dont quit understand your comment?

isnt that a good thing that the off road bikes do have kick start and elec? i dont quit understand your comment?

Off-road bikes have electric with kickstart back up. The MX version 4Ts don't b/c you're not going to get 20 miles from the staging area on the track.

i like a kick starter. less stuff to go wrong

Off road there is nothin like hittin that button on a steep trail and roostin up it, when everyone else is trying to kick their flooded out bikes... soooo much easier.

I dont think any of the true "MX bikes" have kick start, for a good reason... they dont spend millions of dollars on R&D to make their bikes lighter, just to add a starter and battery etc that will only put on weight. Thats my guess.

Kicking over my xr 600 makes me feel like a MAN, just kidding I wish that pig had one too, especially after I dump it (tho it's not as bad for flooding as my friends xr 250)

kicking isnt hard unless u stall in an akward postion, eg a steeepppp hill. thats my opinion

kicking a four stroke surprisingly requires good jetting to make it work effortlessly.

does anyone know the rpm an engine is doing while being kicked over?

kicking isnt hard unless u stall in an akward postion, eg a steeepppp hill. thats my opinion

I've wished for that button a coupla times while stalled on steep, cut out side hill trail, with the right side of the bike against the bank.:smashpc:👍

If you ride with a kid and constantly getting off and starting without an electric start your right leg would be twice the size of your left and you would be spending your life walking in circles!!

i will say kicking a flooded xr650 does suck! but even an electric start would have a tough time getting a flooded xrr to start

Because if you put an electric starter on a "race" bike people will think it's heavy.

Is it really that hard to kick start a bike? Lets get rid of the clutch too. Oh, we already did that. :smashpc:

Is it really that hard to kick start a bike? Lets get rid of the clutch too. Oh, we already did that. :smashpc:

Nope... did it for many years. But, I'll tell you, nice to have on a trail machine. Have you ever had an ebutton? If not, I'd expect you to say this. It's easy to live without, but once you have, you quickly learn to appreciate it.

The off-road bikes do. The 4T MX versions don't. Make sense. You don't get 20 miles from the staging area on the MX track.

I love the magic button on my 450 XCRW. I ditched the lead acid battery for a Super B lithium and that negates the very small weight penalty of the electric starter.:smashpc: The "puss" comments from the nay sayers are funny too. I smile while they kick and I exercise my right thumb. 👍

I think you got your facts wrong or I'm not understanding your post.

All the SX-F KTM bikes come with an electric start (450SX-F, 350SX-F and 250SX-F).

Also for a motocross bike, dumping/stalling it in a race and having to kick start can ruin your race if you cant get it going. I'm glad KTM have the electric start on all their motocross 4t bikes now.

To the OP, i'm sure it's a money/cost thing rather than a technical thing.