Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm bolt stuck

Can't get the swingarm bolt out. I tried pounding it with a four pound hammer and a drift and still nothing. Am I missing something or are they always a CUNTinuous source of frustration?

When I pulled the swingarm of my 8 year old new to me DRZ a few weeks ago, I graduated up the ladder of hammers in my garage. None of them worked. Nothing dislodged the swingarm pivot bolt, until I finally took out the 4 lb single jack. That finally got it moving.

You might want to lay it over on it's side and pour in some penetrating oil over night and then try again in the morning. If that doesn't work, lay it on the other side and repeat.

You may want to drain the engine oil first. I don't know what this bike does with it's oil when horizontal.

It's soaked in penetrating oil at the moment. I am thinking maybe a portapower or some heat. What is this 4 lb single jack you are talking about?

Buy or build a swing arm bolt press... Makes quick work of a seized swing arm bolt. BTW, it's seized to the steel case inserts,, so what you pounding on is your aluminum engine case.

Here in the DRZ FAQ for the home built idea.

Basic, Special and Home Made tools Just for the DRZ

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

07-26-2008

Buy or build a swing arm bolt press... Makes quick work of a seized swing arm bolt. BTW, it's seized to the steel case inserts,, so what you pounding on is your aluminum engine case.

Here in the DRZ FAQ for the home built idea.

Basic, Special and Home Made tools Just for the DRZ

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

07-26-2008

Thanks! I was hoping you would chime in. You helped me out with my forks and now this. I was thinking making a tool just like you described, but I also have a porta power at work with a hollow piston. I use it on bucket and boom pins on Cat front end loaders. I realized that its stuck in the case and I do ride in a wet environment. I think some heat will be helpful, but I am worried about getting the case too hot.

We have taken big ugly bolts off of heavy equipment by heating up the bolt area, then taking a candle and applying it to the bolt. The wax seeps in and sometimes you can literllay twist it out with your fingers. Just a thought.

I've heard of that one before but never used it. It sounds like we have similar occupations. The kicker is the swingarm bearings feel really good, move nice and easy, but no side to side movement. I just heard they are usually not lubed very well and I want to take care of it before I head out on my second Baja trip. The whole bike is getting a makeover, new FCR carb, MSR pipe, all the bearings replaced or lubedd, fork oild changed and a few new farkles.

While I'm working all week on heavy mining equipment thinking of all the fun I'll be having in Mexico is what gets me through the day.

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to remove my swingarm bolt. Used a large hammer and drift to pound, pound, pound with no success. I finally gave up and sprayed everything down with Liquid Wrench, let it set for an hour, and drove the swingarm bolt out with an air hammer. The air hammer worked great, the bolt was out in a couple of minutes.

It's soaked in penetrating oil at the moment. I am thinking maybe a portapower or some heat. What is this 4 lb single jack you are talking about?

That's a name for a four pound single handed small sledge hammer.

I like Erik's tool & procedure much better though!

:smashpc:

Where do you suggest I cut it? Between the swingarm and the engine? It will still be stuck inside the motor case and require a degree of talent to get it out.

Edit: I just read the signature at the bottom of your post. You got me.

Pressure and shock works every time..

Of note, that homemade press is not mine.. I just wrote the article.

I use a porta power ram and a jig I built for stubborn swing arm bolts.

When using a small manual press like the article, putting some pressure on the bolt in the correct direction of travel, and then a smart rap with a heaver hammer will often get the bolt moving.. Then constant pressure will drive it out.

I’m not convinced you can heat any part of the motor that is accessible which will allow for expansion of the steel inserts on a DRZ motor that cause the problem.. Any heat you can apply is as likely to heat the bolt as well, causing it to expand as well.

Where do you suggest I cut it? Between the swingarm and the engine? It will still be stuck inside the motor case and require a degree of talent to get it out.

Edit: I just read the signature at the bottom of your post. You got me.

you would need to make 4 cuts

this is were it gets trickie because theres not a great deel of space to work with

you would need to make 4 cuts

this is were it gets trickie because theres not a great deel of space to work with

It's a plan, and no plan the ends in getting you where you need to be is bad.

However, having done the stuck swing arm bolt removal on, many DRZ, and many other less well maintained motorcycles,,, I’ve never had one that needed to be cut out. If your options to build a manual press, or Hyd press, or, strip the bike enough to get it in a standing Hyd press are not available, then cutting the swing arm pivot bolt might be a last resort option worth looking at, and better then wailing on it with a sledge hammer for sure

Edited by E.Marquez

the hammer should work ,the fear i have is missing the end of the bolt or punch . which is part of the reason i ended up cutting mine.

some thing i would suggest is having a length of pipe over the bolt head , the other end of the pipe is against some thing solid . why ?i fear the frame may be flexing ,absorbing some of the shock of the hammer.

Edited by cataway

Do not cut!

When I had to remove mine I built a press similar to the one posted. Ie. All thread through the bolt. I removed the axle nut and put it on backwards (flange side out) it increased the surface area to apply the pressure of the press. Use the frame on the brake side of the bike as the apposing side of the press. The void between the frame and the head of the bolt is the room used to get the bolt to move. Apply the pressing force and a couple sharp rapps on the nut side should get it to move. Once the bolt moves and the head is flush with the frame increase the void with a piece of pipe or large socket.

The press pressure and combination of sharp rapps is the key to the removal of this bolt.

Do not cut!

When I had to remove mine I built a press similar to the one posted. Ie. All thread through the bolt. I removed the axle nut and put it on backwards (flange side out) it increased the surface area to apply the pressure of the press. Use the frame on the brake side of the bike as the apposing side of the press. The void between the frame and the head of the bolt is the room used to get the bolt to move. Apply the pressing force and a couple sharp rapps on the nut side should get it to move. Once the bolt moves and the head is flush with the frame increase the void with a piece of pipe or large socket.

The press pressure and combination of sharp rapps is the key to the removal of this bolt.

pic's ?