Sign in to follow this  

cleaning 05 crf450 carb

Whats the best way to clean a carb thats been sitting a long time.Lots of discoloration and a lot of build up thats hard to remove.I can't get this thing to run good.It:bonk:'s giving me a lot of decel popping and stalling out but I've cleaned all the jets out several times.

I talked to a person at Sudco and was told to not use carb cleaner. He recommended gas and or simple green. I know that there was an issue with simple green and aluminum. My pilot friend told me that people were washing their airplanes and that simple green was seeping into spots where it could not be rinsed. Which should not happen when you clean the carb and rinse with gas or use compressed air.The mid section uses security torx screws. Sudco also told me if you take that apart you have trashed the carb. No replacement o ring (s). However I see JD has the body o ring available. Maybe contact him for advice on that.

My 04 CRF was doing the same thing. It was not as bad as yours sounds. I used simple green in my ultrasonic cleaner and used a brasso solution in a separate container for the jets.

Result is a clean carb and still have decel backfire. I have opened up the fuel screw and it does improve the idle without the choke. Sounds like I still have blockage.

I am at the point where I will call JD about the center o ring and eliminate all o rings and use the carb cleaner. Maybe all the repeated times of only cleaning the pilot jet has caught up to me. Anyone have any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Use Aerosol Brake cleaner only.

No carb cleaner, no Contact cleaner.

Pay special attention to:

- slide plate: they wear, and cause a lean condition. Replace it.

- slide plate seal: very fragile. Replace it

- hot start and choke plungers: make sure the bore and plunger are not corroded. Make sure the passage into the body is not clogged.

- apump nozzle passage: this clogs easily, as does the brass nozzle

- apump leak passage

- apump diaphragm; replace it!

- apump linkage return spring: put in a merge racing upgrade spring, unless it's a '08 or later CRF (they already have a kehien version inside)

IMHO it's a waste of time to clean a pilot jet. Replace it.