Sign in to follow this  

05 kx250f - NEED HELP!

I have a 05 kx250f. I just got it off a guy for a few hundred dollars. He said he didn't know what was wrong but was told it was the carb. To cut to the chase it wont kick start, me and a mechanically inclined friend taken the carb off and cleaned it. That didn't work so we checked timing online and put it in spec. Now we can pull start by his 4 wheeler but won't kick start still. Sometimes after riding for a few minutes it will try and fire on the kick but wont but will push start 100 times easier then on the cold start. It idles high, have messed with idle screw, air as well, 1.5 to 2.5 out. Exhaust pops some, and it just isn't all perfect performance wise. It's getting really hot, more than I am use to seeing a bike get. Bike sat for 3-5 months before being messed with. As far as I know everything is stock inside, has a stock exhaust as well. We are going to put a compression tester on tomorrow and see what its showing. It definitely doesn't feel like it has it when you kick but at the same time it does blow out of the exhaust good. I am sorry for the long paragraph but I am stumped and really want to get this bike running good and track worthy. If you can text or call me at 334-520-9460 for more information on it or just write on here. THANKS.

You could have 1 of a number of issues there. I would start with checking the intake valves, which are probably tight/zeroed out. A bike will usually bump start with tight valves but be very tough to kickstart. Intakes need to be .004-.006 exhausts .007-.009. These bikes have an issue with the cam gear turning on the cam itself also, causing the lobes to be out of sync for timing purposes, so using the dots doesn't always indicate true cam position. Could also be accelerator pump not squirting properly. As far as running lean and hot, its probably an air leak at exhaust head pipe, airbox, or carb boot, or jetting issues.