Sign in to follow this  

Changing a clutch without the "Clutch holding tool"... help?

Gday everyone,

I have a 2004 YZ 125, and i am putting in a fresh clutch (plates).

Now i have my side cover off and realised i do not have the clutch holding tool. Any tips on how to get these bolts out without buying one?

I have heard a few methods on how to do it, but am a little skeptical because i do not want to damage anything.

I have heard i can just put it in gear and lock up the rear wheel. Is it better to put it in a higher gear, ie 5th. Or a lower gear, ie 1st? Does this put excessive strain on my gearbox?

A mate also told me to throw some rope down the sparkplug hole to stop the piston from moving...I dunno how good of a idea that is!

Would really like to know if i will damage my gearbox or anything by putting it in gear, and if it doesn't. I would like to know the correct procedure on how to do it!

Cheers fellas!

you can jam a rag or soft piece of wood between the gear on the end of the crank and that will hold it and not do any damage, NEVER put anything down your cylinder!

You don't need to hold it to change the plates. Take the bolts out of the pressure plate, remove it, pull out the old plates and replace............ Nuttin to it! :smashpc:

You don't need to hold it to change the plates. Take the bolts out of the pressure plate, remove it, pull out the old and replace............ Nuttin to it!

I believe i am trying to take the pressure plate off, least thats what i think it is.

When i try and turn the bolts, the crank spins.

Also random question - The little covers that go on my swing arm (think they cover the linkages) just noticed one is missing!! dammit! anybody know where to get replacements?

EDIT: Found them on the TT store, sigh. Wish i had something similar in Aus, shipping is such a killer!

First gear and use a rubber strap wrench to wrap around the basket if you need a quick fix. Dealer on the swing arm cap.

Not that hard... put the bike in gear, stick a broom or something in the wheel and against the swingarm so the wheel cant turn and remove bolts...

Your bike endures much worse abuse on the track lol.

Penny between the gears, primary and clutch. But you shouldn't need it to remove the pressure plate. Those bolts are only a 6NM torque if my memory serves me correct. Never the less they are low torque bolts.

If you need to take the basket out, just get the tool. $15 and worth it.

just give them a good tap to get them loose. then when you are tightening them......tighten till they are snug, then give another good tap.

How the hell tight are they on there?

I can't imagine they are that tight? I just like to be very careful when i am working on my bikes. Better safe then sorry!

I know this will be the first clutch that has ever been replaced though, when i bought the bike it had only been ridden 2 or 3 times. Like new. I am using a Tusk branded clutch kit with new springs, and also bought a motion pro cable. If i knew i needed the tool, i would have bundled it in my order as well.

I have now put on 56 hours on it, is that the normal kind of life for a 125's clutch?

Penny between the gears, primary and clutch. But you shouldn't need it to remove the pressure plate. Those bolts are only a 6NM torque if my memory serves me correct. Never the less they are low torque bolts.

+1 I also use an impact wrench. Most of the time my 14 volt Makita cordless impact driver will spin the nut off. Just be sure to properly torque it back on.

BTW, I hope you have better luck than I did with Tusk clutch packs. Everyone I've put on lasted about as long as the time it took to get it to my door.

If you are trying to remove the nut that holds the inner hub on,you can make a tool using your old metal plates.just weld a handle to a few of the old plates.