Sign in to follow this  

Lost all gears...well, sorta...

First, let me say this; great site, love it! I've been lurking for a few months after recently acquiring my DRZ. It's my first 4 stroke and first road bike. I come from a primarily snowmobile background and rode dirt only prior to the DRZ.

I had a funny problem this AM; went to do a quick run to the store this morning and got there with no issue, running through all gears many times. Parked it and went in and got a few things. Started up and went to leave and it wouldn't shift to first. Got it to shift into first, but couldn't get it to shift back to neutral or up to 2nd..it was a long slow ride home! Prior to this incident the bike would very rarely not want to shift to 3 or 4. The washer and snap ring on the shift shaft seemed suspect and there was quite a bit of in and out play. Ironically, the replacement ring and washer are in and I was gonna get them later this AM..

Seems unlikely the gears all died with me in the store, I suspect the shift shaft is likely the culprit..like I have no shifter to gearbox connection.

Any common issue this may be or ideas? Bike is an 01 S stock other than cosmetic and the common fixes (locktite, free power, etc). Like I said, with a primarily snow background, bike transmissions are a weak knowledge area for me..I'd really appreciate any input you can offer!

If the shift shaft moves too far to the right, it will disengage the internal lever that shifts the transmission. Or, if the index mechanism gets sticky with dirt or foreign material, it will stop picking up the next gear. If you can pull the shift shat to the left and reengage the internal lever, all is well (assuming you do not loose the roller on the pin that goes in the slot of the shift lever) You will feel it if it is not right.

If that does not fix it, remove the primarily case and remove the clutch to expose the shifting mechanism and you will find the problem.

I think yer on track there..I dinked with it in the driveway and got it to re-engage. Started it and tested it. Shifted to first, but then wouldn't go back to N or to 2nd. Maybe the roller dropped. I'll pop it open and see what's up..may be a day or two..

Sonnofa @%#$! Just changed the oil too! Is the case gasket reusable or should I replace it?

If the shift shaft moves too far to the right, it will disengage the internal lever that shifts the transmission. Or, if the index mechanism gets sticky with dirt or foreign material, it will stop picking up the next gear. If you can pull the shift shat to the left and reengage the internal lever, all is well (assuming you do not loose the roller on the pin that goes in the slot of the shift lever) You will feel it if it is not right.

If that does not fix it, remove the primarily case and remove the clutch to expose the shifting mechanism and you will find the problem.

Or, if the index mechanism gets sticky with dirt or foreign material, it will stop picking up the next gear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14905&d=1288874705

assuming you do not loose the roller on the pin that goes in the slot of the shift lever

attachment.php?attachmentid=14903&d=1288874305

If you can pull the shift shat to the left and reengage the internal lever,

attachment.php?attachmentid=14902&d=1288874305

What causes the in and out slop on the shift shaft? Strange that it can develope the in and out play to the point that it can come free like this...

What causes the in and out slop on the shift shaft? Strange that it can develope the in and out play to the point that it can come free like this...

On the left side of the case, on the shift shaft there is a washer (item 32 below), and a snap ring (item 31 below).. If you fail to install the snap ring (item 31 below) after installing the shaft in to the case, , or if you fall, and push the shift shaft past the snap ring/. you end up with a shift shaft that will move laterally.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11443&d=1252316103

That's the odd thing; when I had the initial shift problem going to 3rd a search led me to check that ring and washer. I found that even with the ring and washer in place, there seemed to be more slop than you would expect. I ordered replacements to be safe and thorough. If the roller popped of what secures it in place?

Update to help anybody else in the future: the snap ring worked loose again before my replacement ring and washer arrived. This time, just like the guys mentioned, the shaft moved enough for the bushing to pop off. Put it back together along with a shiny new clutch and she's good as new. Thanks for all the tips guys 👍