Sign in to follow this  

Slipstreamer Spitfire 06 Windscreen on DR650

I know their is lots of information and advice on using the S-06 Spitfire windscreen on the DR650 (I read nearly all of the posts), but I thought a dedicated thread on the subject might be useful as well.

After much research on the subject of a windscreen for the DR650, I decided to go with the Spitfire S-06 on my 2011 DR650. I'm 5'8".

It was affordable, easy to install, easy to adjust. The edges are quite sharp and will dig into your light shroud as mentioned.

I have tried a few set-ups so far and like the overall effect of the windscreen, however, I am still fine-tuning it so I don't get a headache from air blasting onto my forehead. One set up was a little off centre and I had to keep leaning the bike to go straight.

I discovered one weird thing that I never saw anyone mention before: the air wash around the left side of the Spitfire pushed my stock, plastic hand guard back so far that it was pushing on my clutch lever.

A fellow rider suggested I notch some slits in the hand guard and fasten the inside pivot point to the handlebars with a zip tie. It was an instant fix.

When I get the final set-up that I like, I will try and post my picture.

Thanks to all that helped me make my windscreen decision.

Well, after a few months now, I can say that the Spitfire makes a world of difference. 👍 It took so much wind off me that I was getting quite warm when ambient temperature was above 20C. 👍 There is some forehead buffeting :doh: that I can't do anything about , no matter how many adjustments I make. Perhaps a slightly taller windscreen would make for a sweeter ride, but could that same windscreen be removed as easily as the Spitfire when you want to go off road? 👍

It was so warm this March that I took the windshield off to get some "air conditioning" for a while. I put it away and simply tightened the wingnuts down onto the brackets.

Today I went to put the windshield on again; only fo find one wingnut still attached. 🤣

I will be getting some hex bolts or a spare set of wingnuts from now on.

😢