Sign in to follow this  

Who bought an extended warranty via dealer

Anticipating buying a new 500EXC when they are available and trying to research some extended warranties. With this being the first run of this model, and the issues they had with the first few years of the 530's, I am thinking that an additional warranty would be wise. New motor design, new FI, etc.

Never bought a new bike before so I was wondering what everyone's, or anyone's, experience was.

How negotiable are they on pricing?

What did you pay? For how many years? etc.

Companies to avoid? KTM sell one?

Hi William

i agree that usually the ext. warranties are a waste and overpriced. I worked for BestBuy while in college and the markup on their warranties are about a astronomical as you can get. A $300 warranty on a typical product can be bought at employee cost for about $15. No lie. A major appliance.....about $5-7

Anyway, this purchase has me feeling a little different. This is not a disposable item like a tv, or DVD player. I also plan to ride on the street considerably; 10 mile trip to work one way. Finance at 4 years and I would like it to be dealer covered for that time at least.

If its $1200 then hell no. If its possible to get it in at about $400-500 then I can live with that. Changes the payment negligibly and gives me peace of mind.

dntsdad

I purchased an 08 450 exc-r from the dealer. Because this is a street legal bike the warranty was sold as a street bike warranty. This made it quite a bit cheaper than buying one for a dirt bike. Don't remember the cost but it gave me an additional 3 1/2 years of coverage (I think around $350) and it has totally paid off. Yes I got one of those bikes that has lost the pump seal & cover. Now 400 miles later I just lost the crank shaft seal. I believe the bill for both would have been around 1K. It is just a good piece of mind in my opinion when spending that much money!

On my way to pick up my bike right now...........No out of pocket is a good thing and I did not have to do the work.

dntsdad

I purchased an 08 450 exc-r from the dealer. Because this is a street legal bike the warranty was sold as a street bike warranty. This made it quite a bit cheaper than buying one for a dirt bike. Don't remember the cost but it gave me an additional 3 1/2 years of coverage (I think around $350) and it has totally paid off. Yes I got one of those bikes that has lost the pump seal & cover. Now 400 miles later I just lost the crank shaft seal. I believe the bill for both would have been around 1K. It is just a good piece of mind in my opinion when spending that much money!

On my way to pick up my bike right now...........No out of pocket is a good thing and I did not have to do the work.

and this is exactly my reasoning.

Happen to know the name of the company? Any insight? Complaints?

I paid $700 for 4 years on an '09 450 EXC through Western Service from an out-of-town dealer that ended up going out of business just a few months later. The contract was rolled in with my negotiated price of $9200 OTD, so I didn't haggle on the contract price.

I asked a guy at one of the reputable local shops if Western would cover the oil migration/burning issue on the 450/530 EXC's, but he didn't think they would. I haven't pressed the issue and nothing major has gone wrong, but the bike only has 32 hours. So I can't say what Western would fight me on, but I think it helps to have a shop that will go to bat for you with them. Most shops I've talked to seem less inclined when you haven't bought from them.

Whichever way you go, my best advice would be to put as many hours on it as you can within the first 6 months so you have a better chance of catching any bugs during KTM's standard warranty period, and try to buy from a place with a good rep that will back you up if things go South.

I would have got back sooner but I have been out petting her since I got home. I missed her while she was gone!

Anyways I just looked up my warranty and it was purchased at the time of the bike from the dealership. It is RPMOne Sport and I did pay a pretty penny. It was $700 just like WannaRide2 paid. The way I look at it is I would not purchase a new car these days with out a warranty and then I would take the car home and baby it. Now a bike we pay a fortune for, don't believe it should break down and then we take them out in the woods and ride the hell out of them. God it's fun!!!!!!!!!

I think I will do just that tomorrow with my boys. There is no better time spent than in the woods one way or another. I am just glad my wife thinks I should be spending my time doing just that. The boys are only gonna wanna hang with dad so long she says. Boy is she wrong. Dad is fun and has fun toys. Not to mention he keeps their bikes in working order. Cashola holder ya know.

There is no better time spent than in the woods one way or another. I am just glad my wife thinks I should be spending my time doing just that. The boys are only gonna wanna hang with dad so long she says.

Hah! That's the same reasoning I used to convince my wife that I needed the orange mistress. Best 9000 bucks I ever spent.

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks guys. Keep them coming everyone else.

I wonder the reasoning why the warranty wouldn't cover the oil migration issue? That seems like a large issue.

i have the 2010 530 exc and blew it up .had the extended warr.1700 bucks ltr i paid 170 for the little bs stuff that it didnt cover.all in all if they offer you one take it....im still covered till 2014......ride it like ya stole it.