Sign in to follow this  

Possible to have QUIET valves?

ive read that these motors will always just make noise, and thats fine, to a degree. i seem to have a valve that likes to make noise despite all of them being in spec when checked maybe 1000 miles ago (~4000 on bike). It makes more noise when hot and gets loud and/or quieter throughout the rev range, ie more rpm doesnt always mean more noise. is it possible to shim these just right so they dont make so much noise? it drives me nuts hearing that thing clacking away at idle. i run mobil1 20-50 and even a fresh change doesnt do much for the noise.

ive read that these motors will always just make noise, and thats fine, to a degree. i seem to have a valve that likes to make noise despite all of them being in spec when checked maybe 1000 miles ago (~4000 on bike). It makes more noise when hot and gets loud and/or quieter throughout the rev range, ie more rpm doesnt always mean more noise. is it possible to shim these just right so they dont make so much noise? it drives me nuts hearing that thing clacking away at idle. i run mobil1 20-50 and even a fresh change doesnt do much for the noise.

I posted a question about a manual cam chain tensioner a few moments ago, was wondering, do you have the stock spring cam tensioner? Read a few things about cam chain and valve noise cause by a sloppy cam chain. ...Just a thought.

yeah ive got a manual tensioner already. adjusting it is kinda tricky though trying out pick out cam chain noise out of all the other noises going on.

yeah ive got a manual tensioner already. adjusting it is kinda tricky though trying out pick out cam chain noise out of all the other noises going on.

Hmmm... I've got an '06 too, only 3600mi... I've never noticed valve noise (at least that I can recognize), though no 3x3 mod on mine. Check this page on adjusting:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...639008&garpg=2

Worth a shot if you haven't already tried that route.

I've got an 07 and mine is the same as you described. Not much clacking when cold, when it warms up a little, sounds like an early century sewing machine. Loctites all done and mcct. Feels and runs great though, so I'm just riding it and hoping it doesn't blow up.

Some here say they are just noisy motors and others say they are quiet. So i don't know whats normal. I'd put it out of my mind if I were you, and don't let it drive you insane.

yeah i tell myself every 100 feet of riding thats its normal but i'm a worrier, so its never not on my mind lol! simple fact is that clicks and clacks arent "smoothness" , gsxr's come to mind- totally silent and smoooooth, granted the drz in no gsxr.

Hmmm... I've got an '06 too, only 3600mi... I've never noticed valve noise (at least that I can recognize), though no 3x3 mod on mine. Check this page on adjusting:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...639008&garpg=2

Worth a shot if you haven't already tried that route.

what is the power delivery like with no 3x3 mod ?

Once you know the valves are adjusted right, your cam chain tensioner is set right, and your auto de-comp on your cam is not coming apart then you pretty much just ride with no worries. Running an open pipe will help cover up the sound and you will soon forget about the noise. These are just noisy....some noisier than others though.

yeah i tell myself every 100 feet of riding thats its normal but i'm a worrier, so its never not on my mind lol! simple fact is that clicks and clacks arent "smoothness" , gsxr's come to mind- totally silent and smoooooth, granted the drz in no gsxr.

Have you ever put both motors next to each other ? I forget which model it is , but the DRZ is one piston of a multiple cylinder design . About the noise though , mine does the same , I can always hear a tick , ticking noise at idle and when the motor heats up , even if the clearances are in spec . Just make sure your valves are adjusted right and the cam chain is adjusted properly and that is about all you can do . I have read that if you fit a bash plate , this will reflect the engine noise back at you , you havent got one on have you ? greg

I've got an aluminum bash plate, 3x3 mod, stock exhaust and 12,000 miles on my DR-Z. I don't have what I would consider excessive vale train noise. But then again compared to my 525EXC everything has quiet valve trains. :smashpc:

I turn the fans on if it hits 175 degrees, seems to stay fairly quiet. Only time I ever let it hit 200 was to run it thru emissions, much more noise at that temp.

what is the power delivery like with no 3x3 mod ?
All I can say is the bike is a kick in the pants the way it is. Throttle is snappy and I can get the front wheel up in third. Never done a dyno and never been on a DRZ with the 3x3. And I've never noticed valve noise, cold or warm... :smashpc:

well, i do have the yosh ti uncorked, its plenty loud but i can still pick out the motor noises over that, maybe because im so annoyed with them. i beat the thing like it owes me money too and nothing has come apart or noises gotten worse... so, i guess its ok, but i still hate the noises lol!