Sign in to follow this  

smokey 91 xt 350

hey all, new guy here. just bought the bike a couple months ago with 11k, put about 400 miles on it so far. changed the oil when i got it, changed the air filter. its burning some oil, and smokes a bit. The smoking is very inconsistent, sometimes its real bad at cold start up and goes away, other times its not so bad at cold start and comes on a few minutes after. any ideas?

also need a right side panel cover if anyone knows of one.

I have been looking through the posts here and have found some similar threads, but didnt know if anyone had any other input

thanks in advance!

Thanks PD, thats kinda what I have gathered, its a start anyways. what kind of job is this for a novice? I dont have a manual yet, but I have a clymers manual on the way. Im pretty mechanically inclined and thorough when i try something new. but i dont wanna screw it up bad.

You can download a FREE manual from :

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

That and the Clymer should get you through . And , of course , this site . :smashpc:

It's just nuts and bolts and a hunk of metal or two . Really , the top end is dual overhead cam , fairly simple .

Best advice I can offer : Be meticulous . Read the manuals before you pick up a wrench and keep them handy after . Lay things out in the order and position that they were removed in . If you don't have that much space , tag , tag , tag ...

Keep everything Clean .

Something else you should do is make sure the valves have good mating surfaces . With only 11000 miles , I would think only a light lapping should be needed .

Pay attention to proper torque on all bolts . Remember that you're working with soft aluminum that has to hold steel bolts .

And don't be afraid to ask us for help . 👍

Just a torque wrench and a decent set of tools with sockets ( preferably 6 point ) and wrenches .

I use one of these and a piece of cut away tubing as a valve spring depressor :

17t_sm.jpg

I use a medium grit valve lapping compound .

cool, thanks PD, just read your whole thread on the rebuild! very impressive! I will certainly "bother" you with any other questions I may have! Thanks for your help! i will update as I learn more once I get the manual and dive in to this tiny project!

I have also read in other threads about "special tools" needed for valve adjusments on this bike? this is new to me. never dealt with adjusting valves? any hints? tricks? tips?

Here's a video . It shows a CB750 valve adjustment , but the rules and procedures are the same . The shims and buckets are interchangeable between our '85 - '00 XT350s and the '79 - '82 CB750 - 900 Hondas .

Valve Adjustment :

DO NOT ROTATE THE CAMS WITHOUT A SHIM IN EVERY BUCKET .

Check all clearances ( cam lobe pointed straight away from the shim face ) and record them on a chart like the one below . Record the initial clearance in EXHAUST #1 & 2 top squares on the chart .

After recording the clearance , remove the underlying shims , one at a time . Measure it and put it back in the bucket . Record that initial shim size in the corresponding square . DO NOT ROTATE THE CAMS WITHOUT A SHIM IN EVERY BUCKET . If you do , serious bucket damage could and most likely will result .

Do the intakes as described for the exhaust . Just make sure you record the clearances and shim sizes in the correct squares . When you know each valves clearance and shim size , do a little math and figure which shim will work where and which will need to be exchanged for a correct thickness . Remember the correct clearance for the exhaust is .005" - .007" and intake is .003" - .005" . Considering how hot these XTs run , .003" seems a bit too tight . I run mine at .005" - .006" .

Hopefully , you have a good relationship with your local Yamaha or Honda dealer and better yet the shop manager . Ask if they will do a shim exchange . They probably have a box buried in the back of the shop and figure that doing an exchange might just get them some of your other business . Most shops don't do very many valve adjustments that use these 25mm shims anymore . The newer bikes use a smaller shim about the size of a large pea . So , it's not taking anything out of their pockets.

Here's the worksheet I use . I use this for my CB750 4 cylinder 16 valve . Just use the #1 & 2 squares . Keeping a record for future reference comes in handy when it comes time to adjust again .

IMG-1-1-1.jpg