Sign in to follow this  

7 year olds first ride= fail!

7 YO wanted to try the PW80. I was reluctant to let him try because he doesn't listen so well. I suited him up with full gear ( thank God ) explained the brakes, off switch. I let him twist the throttle at idle in nuetral. I told him where to keep his elbows and to NOT TWIST THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!

What does he do = whiskey thhrottle with feet dangeling off the back for about 25 feet until he fell over! :smashpc: He missed a small tree - phew! And now wont try again. Oh well, maybee next year!

Tell me your ( or your kids) first tries at riding!

Buy a quad tether-cord style kill switch and walk (or RUN:lol:) behind him with it. If he goes out of controll, give it a yank until he gets the hang of it :smashpc:

My oldest was a natural. Climbing big hills (well, big for a tike) on the first outing, but he was a bit older. Youngest was OK but not spectacular. He was trying to keep up with older bro. That might have been the secret. No issues like you had though....LOL Make em get back on it. :smashpc: If they want to try they have to LEARN. Can't learn without a little practice.

I'm not overly familiar with the PW80, but I know my CRF50 has a throttle limiter screw so they can't get going too fast.

I adjusted it so it just got the clutch engaged, but wouldn't go any faster than a brisk walk. Kept it there for a few days til I was comfortable with his control, then stepped it up one notch at a time.

My 10 YO two years ago at 71/2 YO started out gently twisting the throttle until he was able to pick his feet up and rode away just fine. My 7YO just wont listen.

I tried to run next to him but he was off to the races.

My 10 YO two years ago at 71/2 YO started out gently twisting the throttle until he was able to pick his feet up and rode away just fine. My 7YO just wont listen.

I tried to run next to him but he was off to the races.

All the kids I have taught to ride were like your older...had some caution, and thought and listened.

My oldest kid did a lap around the yard on the 50, and then it was off to the races, she was a natural. Same with my oldest nephew. Youngest nephew...not so much. I swear that kid could foul a thumper plug.

My youngest is like your 7 yr old-won't listen to me or his mom. We can talk ourselves blue in the face, does no good. Struggled all summer to get him to ride a bicycle, and no matter what I told him, he ignored me and kept doing the same dumb stuff.

BIL was up two weeks ago, and he offered to try. Told the kid the same thing I had been telling him, and lo and behold, he did what the BIL said and rode away like a pro.👍

And my dad laughed and laughed cackling something about the 'curse coming full circle' or some nonsense like that.:smashpc:

I've thought about teaching some younger family members to ride, but I want them to be confident on a bicycle first. Already have some skills on two wheels, be used to hopping curbs and going over bumps, and familiarity with the concept of consequences and reasonable caution.

Taught ours to ride at 5-6 and ran beside him with an XR75. Clutch was the hardest for him to get and some push starts got him going in a nice wide open area. Do NOT train around trees or buildings, they are magnets to the kid and bike!!!

Start him off with his elbow DOWN, that way he can get less twist on the throttle.

Swiss

Wow, you started them on a clutch. You know that might even be easier than the auto. they would have to learn that engage point rather than full on.

He was tought o get on the bicycle and only really mastered that last year about this time. Before that he was training wheels. He could ride the bike but was reliant on the wheels to keep him from falling.

I thought he might not get it!

When I taught my oldest daughter to ride, it was an experience. Bike was a 2003 CRF150F. I ran threw everything on the bike, controls, even pointed out at the time unnecessary things like this is the engine. Had her put on all protective gear, and dry run the clutch / shifter with the engine off. Then put the bike away. Yep, she didn’t even get to try it on day one.

Day two, she had to try on all her gear without help this time. Okay. I started engine and rode around the yard with her on the back. Then she got in front of me, but me still running the controls. Okay. Time for the solo flight. She revved it up, dumped the clutch, front wheel came up, she panicked and let go. Ended up on her but watching the bike wheelie down the driveway. Bike fell over on cement driveway, putting scratches on places I never thought possible. Bike had less then one hour run time, and it was already scratched to heck.

She later went on to race, and on her third year placed 4th in the district in her class. It all worked out for the good.

Next daughter was a natural. She took right to it without a problem. She went on to place 1st in her class in district racing on the very bike her older sister rode.

What does he do = whiskey thhrottle with feet dangeling off the back for about 25 feet until he fell over! :smashpc: He missed a small tree - phew! And now wont try again. Oh well, maybee next year!

Haha man that sounds like when I let my girlfriend ride my little CRF70 pitbike. Its got a few mods here and there, 88 kit with racehead and manual clutch. I give her the run down on everything and then let her go. Complete whiskey throttle, shes manages to shift to second gear no less still pinned. Realizes she's in trouble and off come the feet about 40 feet before she crashed it into my neighbors garden, oooops.

My boy inherited an old 50cc Suzuki when he was 5. His uncle used to race pro flat track, and gave him a few lessons, power off, down the driveway. Started off very well under power, and circled the house tentatively a few times. I guess after 3 laps he figured he had this stuff down, and pinned it around the house. We have a 1/2 acre backyard with 1 tree. As I tried to get his attention ( haha ) I rounded the corner in back just in time to see him clip the tree with his bars and as gracefully as a gymnast, he flew over the bars about 15 feet, in a nice laid out position, missing the tree and skidding to a soft unharmed stop in the grass on his bum.

I must have been more frightened than him, because he just climbed back on and took off (albeit a bit slower). I however, had to sit down in a chair, crack a beer, and ponder those ethical questions every parent asks themselves when loading their child on a potential beast, whilst still shaking from my adrenaline rush.

I'm not overly familiar with the PW80, but I know my CRF50 has a throttle limiter screw so they can't get going too fast.

I adjusted it so it just got the clutch engaged, but wouldn't go any faster than a brisk walk. Kept it there for a few days til I was comfortable with his control, then stepped it up one notch at a time.

That's exactly how we did it too :smashpc:

one of my first rides with my cousin in my yard (we both had pw 50's) i was riding down a hill talking to him and hit a boat on a trailer, end over end ended up in the boat and the bike was under it. favorite thing was my dad telling me "nick, that was a pretty damn good broadside you did there!"

deleted

Edited by zlathim
wrong topic, sorry

My 5 YO neice and nephew were still using training wheels on their bicycles so my father made a set of training wheels ala the Moose set and mounted them on the CRF50 I'd got them. After both could ride without training wheels on their bicycles then I took the training wheels off of the 50 as well.

The throttle was also limited to half way about two months into it. Zero issues and two years later they still want to ride all the time.

I went to the Yamaha dealer to buy the insert for the restictor for the exhaust but the guy told me it's actually the gasket and to use the throttle stop. I am not sure if it has a throttle stop?????????????

On the Honda's, it's a screw extending out of the bottom side of the throttle assembly. Turn it in, and it limits how far the throttle can be twisted.