Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S - wheel and tyre choice?

I have owned my S for 3 months and have put on about 800 road miles. I will be using the bike off-road during the winter but 90% of the miles will be on the road.

The tyres have had it and need replacing before winter, currently it wears 18/21" Pirelli knobblies. So I need to make a decision whether to fit road-biased tyres - I've read that the Avon Distanzia is a good choice.

Alternatively, I was contemplating buying a spare set of SM rims and 'proper' road tyres. The question here is is that worthwhile and will they fit S forks?

Any input would be welcomed. I'm in the UK so the roads here are pretty bad in the winter...

Many thanks!

Dunlop D606's in the Winter and in the Summer (if you are going to do more aggressive riding) replace the rear with a Michelin Cross AC10. I ride my bike year round here in Colorado and those are the best combinations I have found for my '01 DRZ400 S

Stock SM rims bolt right up to the S....I have them on mine. Warp 9's and such will too, with some small provisions.

I switch back and forth between my knobby S setup and my street hooligan SM setup all the time. I've got it down to about a 15 min procedure now, nothing to it.

Sounds perfect, maybe that would be the way forward. I love the bike but the road handling on knobblies bothers me somewhat...

I love my Bridgestone tw301 tw302 tires. I write about them a lot. Like you I ride 90% on road. They have good grip, are stable, and are quiet, expect about 4000 miles. Off road they work. They will get you through mud and sand, although it is difficult to do wheelies with them off road. They are not knobbies but they are the best good street tire off road. If that makes sense.

Maxxis supermaxx sports I have these there awesome ! get really sticky awesome for playing around :smashpc: