Sign in to follow this  

How to tighten front axel without hex bit socket 08450R

How does everyone who doesn't have a giant hex bit socket tighten their front axel down?

In my manual it just says to torque the axel bolt why "holding" the axel.

Just wondering how other people do it

I use a 17mm nut & bolt screwed together untill tight. Place one end in the hollow axle side & use the other end of the nut & bolt & a 17mm wrench to hold the axle in place while you torque the axle nut. I welded the 17mm nut & bolt together but a dab of jb weld will also work fine to accomplish the same thing as welding them together.

The honda service manual states that the axle should be tightened & torqued before either axle clamp & that the left axle clamp be tightened before the right one. Dont forget to pump the forks a few times to properly seat everything between tightening the left & right axle clamps.

Ok, I was thinking about tightening that clamp down but I thought it might be a bad idea...I guess no riding for me till I get something to use. (Live in the country so everything is far away)

This is not that big of a deal and can easily be done without getting new tools:

1. put the axle bolt in and tighten the nut until the axle starts to spin

2. snug the right pinch bolts (rear brake side) of the fork tube

3. torque the axle nut

4. loosen the right pinch bolts

5. Now follow your favorite procedure to get the forks lined up properly on the axle (I make sure the forks are "loose" on the axle and will wedge the fork lug open a little if necessary, then pump the forks a few times to be sure they are straight/lined up).

6. torque the left side pinch bolts (chain side)

7. torque the right side pinch bolts (brake side)

Grin and twist the throttle. :smashpc:

This is not that big of a deal and can easily be done without getting new tools:

1. put the axle bolt in and tighten the nut until the axle starts to spin

2. snug the right pinch bolts (rear brake side) of the fork tube

3. torque the axle nut

4. loosen the right pinch bolts

5. Now follow your favorite procedure to get the forks lined up properly on the axle (I make sure the forks are "loose" on the axle and will wedge the fork lug open a little if necessary, then pump the forks a few times to be sure they are straight/lined up).

6. torque the left side pinch bolts (chain side)

7. torque the right side pinch bolts (brake side)

Grin and twist the throttle. :smashpc:

Never seen it done differently.

That sounds like a good method too, thanks for the good advice all!

I use a 5/8" spark plug socket that has the six flat hex on the OD and a 1/2" extension and braker bar (for some reason my extension fits in the socket but not the braker bar head). The 1/2 extension goes into the socket where the the spark plug would go and the six flat hex will fit into the end of the axle.

That is the quick and easy way. Works every time.

yeah .. just like when someone pulls off the forks out of the tripple clamp for service then clamps them in a vise to loosen the caps :smashpc: