Sign in to follow this  

Kawasaki Sawzall vs Rear Axle

I am almost to that point!!!:smashpc:

Trying to replace the rear axle bearings, got everything off but the the sprocket flange (piece the rear sprocket bolts to).

It is stuck, the service manual says remove (pretty vague). All the research on the net says it should just slide off.

I have applied heat

I have smacked the snot out of it:smashpc:

I used a socket/BFH and smacked the axle from sprocket side to break side (left to right)

I said things that would offended a sailor:foul:

Before I cut the axle in half ..... What am I missing? 👍

Anyone have an idea?

Well ... I smacked and hammered until it came off ... probablly going to have to get a new one. For those that have the same problem be advised it is has splines. Oil it, smack it, lots of heat, say a few bad words and repeat. It sucked .. about 4 hours of suck.

Well ... I smacked and hammered until it came off ... probablly going to have to get a new one. For those that have the same problem be advised it is has splines. Oil it, smack it, lots of heat, say a few bad words and repeat. It sucked .. about 4 hours of suck.

It eazy after removing the main axle nut then the retaining clip and pulling the alxe out, face the alxe up with Sprocket or Brake flange hub up a some heat on buttom end of the hub and spray some WD40 on top end of Sprocket or Brake flange hub depend on which side is fix side then flap and do it the way or use a hydraulic press keep in mind that there a retaining clip on short of the axle so smack it with a hammer it not come out very eazy becuase of the retaining clip.

Or was it you trying get alxe out of the axle out of swing arm carrier bearing housing?, that well depend on model atv your work on.

Edited by shspvr

it was while trying get axle out of the axle/carrier bearing housing out of the swing arm (03 KFX 400). The splines on the sprocket flange and axle darn near fused together. Now that it is out (sprocket flange destroyed) I stood it up to soak the brake flange in penetrating oil to get it off.

It was a fun day :smashpc:

This is how it goes:

1. Remove rear wheels.

2. Remove rear wheel hubs.

3. Remove the caliper.

4. Loosen the chain adjuster nuts (2). on the rear of the axle housing.

5. Loosen rear axle housing bolts (4) on top.

6. Remove the sprocket bolts (4) and the sprocket.

7. Loosen large rear axle nuts on the (2) left side of the sprocket by applying the rear brake so that it does not spin while trying to remove. Then remove the 2 nuts.

9. Remove the concaved washers between the nuts and the sprocket flange.

10. Remove the sprocket flange.

11. Slide out the axle to the right.

If it dose not slide out on to step 2

Take Old Impact Real Deep Wall Socket 10/15lb hammer

The size of socket need be a closest fit to wheel hub spline that way on stop lip with Deep Wall Socket and that save your wheel hub nuts treads.

Unless you can find 1/4 thick pipe about 12/18" long weld 1/2 thick round plug to one end then good town on it.

Yeah, it really pays to take that stuff apart on a yearly basis to keep it free.

I had a 2003 Raptor that I had a similar problem disassembling the rear axle.

Axle nuts "fused" to the threads. Heat, penetrating oil, and even waxing the threads while using 4 foot pipes on the wrenches to remove the red hot nuts. My sprocket carrier was fused too. It took over 8 hours and lots of heat to replace the carrier bearings.

Once the job is done, I coat everything with either nickle anti-seize or Loctite to keep it free for the next time. I actually Loctite my axle splines because of their tendency to loosen up. It means you have to use heat to remove the wheel hubs but it prevents rust and spline damage.

Thanks for the info! I have not put it back together yet, but those are some great tips that I will be sure to use. I do not want to go through this again.