Sign in to follow this  

broken frame!

Is it just my family or has anyone else had a problem with breaking the frame on 04 kx 250s? Mine is broken on both sides (I'll post pics later) and my brother had an 04 that broke in nearly the same spot. Im pretty upset about it because this bike really doesnt have very many hours on it and neither did my brothers. Seems like there should have been a recall or something. anybody else have this happen? Also, do you think welding it is a feasible option? The crack is basically right below the shrouds where they meet the frame. And its not like the bike sits in the weather at all, I take really good care of it, but I do ride it really hard and have cased some really big jumps. Still, the frame shouldnt crack! I was thinking of calling kawasaki (any ideas on a number to call?) and complaining.

2011-10-01_14-44-01_428.jpg

I see that there are some on ebay for $150-200 for used ones but dont want the same thing to happen again.

If it were me, I would Definitely be giving kawasaki a call. Even if I thought my chances are 1/100000 I would want them to know of the problem at the very minimum.

I have 2 04s and have had 3 03s with no cracking issues. Are all of your motor mounts tight? Bikes can and will crack frames if jumped, cased etc. Ive never seen one crack there though.

i wouldnt weld it in this case. look at how and where it broke, right at the base of a weld bead, it looks to be a stress fracture from cylical loading, but im no expert. all im saying is if you weld that, i think it will fail again, and quicker.

if your gonna fix that frame i would weld the crack and grind it flat,then weld 6" or 8" pieces of flat stock on both sides of the frame rail,thats the only way its ever gonna hold,good luck!!!

The motor mount bolts have come lose before but i dont see how that would cause any stress to that part of the frame? Anyway im not going to try and fix that, I might as well pick up one off ebay, clean it up and paint it and grease everything while its apart. I'll try and give kawasaki a call tomorrow, but still am not sure of a number, or who to talk to about complaints.

The motor mounts make the frame more rigid... Many pros cut their head stays for a more flexible frame (and yes they do break frames quite often). I've owned several 04' and 05' KX's and the one thing I ALWAYS did was check the linkage and headstay bolts/nuts. The main reason I always check my nuts/bolts is because the 03' frame and linkage setup HAD PROBLEMS with cracked frames near the linkage... Have you had your suspension set up by a race shop? More than likely what caused those stress cracks is the motor mounts being lose... :smashpc:

What is the head stay? Yeah it has revalved suspension from pro action. That does make sense about the rigidity. Live and learn i guess, but Im still going to give kawi a call just to see what they say. This thing rattles bolts lose like crazy!

The head stay is the bracket that comes off of the head of the engine to the frame. Loose motor mounts can help cause cracks like that a couple of ways. 1 the motor is used to stiffen the frame as mentioned before. 2 the loose motor mounts can cause the engine to transmit vibration which over time can cause frame cracks.

The motor mount bolts have come lose before but i dont see how that would cause any stress to that part of the frame? Anyway im not going to try and fix that, I might as well pick up one off ebay, clean it up and paint it and grease everything while its apart. I'll try and give kawasaki a call tomorrow, but still am not sure of a number, or who to talk to about complaints.

the motor is an integral part of the frame and rigidity on most dirt bikes. how could it not weaken the frame. that may have been(probably) what started the crack. both points condor made above are what did it.

+3

The engine is a stressed member on these bikes. My 94, although has a weak frame, had cracks on the lower mounts. And that's where the previous owner had brand new bolts.