Sign in to follow this  

two kdx220 questions

ok been tweekin and ridin trying to get my kdx dialed in,i love this bike its a blast,buuuut got a couple questions

1st,the front forks pack or compress alot under breaking,would heavier fork oil help with this issue?im gonna hold off on swapping out the forks for USD's unless i find a killer deal as i want to buy my oldest a bigger bike for christmas.So that being said i wanna make the stockers a lil for comfy for a bit,also i might just do a hybrid when i get my taxes back so im not sure i wanna put much money into this frame

2nd when i bought this bike it was super spoogie,tore the carb down and cleaned it,repacked the silencer,put a twin air in it,put a new sparkplug in it{the old one was loose in the head}drained the old gas out and mixed 32:1 with royal purple synthetic,and took a ride...initially it was still spoogie and breaking up on the top end in 1st and 2nd,Shut the bike down and the next day started her up and rode...spooge was gone and it didnt break up in the top end any more,lowend is great but falls really flat on top,also doesnt really smoke that much.is this a lean condition?

any help you guys could throw my way would be greatly :thumbsup:appreciated:thumbsup:

Does it have the stock springs in the fork? And do you weigh more than 145lbs? If you answered "yes" to these questions, there's your front end dive under braking problem. Check Race Tech's fork spring calculator to see what stock is, and where you need to go with it.:smashpc:

yeah im like 170 and im pretty sure its got the stockers in it,i ll hit up that calculator and see what i should have,thanx OHB!!!

The KDXs are very rich from the factory, work your way down with the jet sizes. The way they are designed, they have good bottom power but fall flat on top. Good jetting will maximize the power.

The way they are designed, they have good bottom power but fall flat on top.

And more so on the 220 than the 200. Better to just grab another gear and use the bottom/mid range rather than try to rev it much.

ok been tweekin and ridin trying to get my kdx dialed in,i love this bike its a blast,buuuut got a couple questions

1st,the front forks pack or compress alot under breaking,would heavier fork oil help with this issue?im gonna hold off on swapping out the forks for USD's unless i find a killer deal as i want to buy my oldest a bigger bike for christmas.So that being said i wanna make the stockers a lil for comfy for a bit,also i might just do a hybrid when i get my taxes back so im not sure i wanna put much money into this frame

2nd when i bought this bike it was super spoogie,tore the carb down and cleaned it,repacked the silencer,put a twin air in it,put a new sparkplug in it{the old one was loose in the head}drained the old gas out and mixed 32:1 with royal purple synthetic,and took a ride...initially it was still spoogie and breaking up on the top end in 1st and 2nd,Shut the bike down and the next day started her up and rode...spooge was gone and it didnt break up in the top end any more,lowend is great but falls really flat on top,also doesnt really smoke that much.is this a lean condition?

any help you guys could throw my way would be greatly :thumbsup:appreciated:thumbsup:

for less than new fork springs cost, you can get 99 or newer kx125/250 forks if ya look hard enough. i got a pretty nice set for $80, and a beat up set a little cheaper. stock triple clamps dont bring money on ebay either, the front wheel/brakes may be the expensive part. now if you can get some used kdx springs that may be the way to go. i would get 0.42 springs at your weight, i think the kdx came stock with 0.36?

so far the only used springs i have found were the stockers,i really dont want to put to much money into this chassis as im pretty sure im gonna build a hybrid when i get my taxes next year,but thats also alot of riding with this mushy front end untill then,i know i can find a cheap set of forks but you still have to get triples,wheel and axle or have the stock axle machiened,thats about 200$ or more and i can get new springs for about 120$

you can get a set of xr400 fork springs, kdx200 95-06 will interchange with the xr400, i done mine and they work so much better now, i changed my mine about installing usd forks, .42 springs will work just right for your weight, try it, to get more rev out of the 200 get you a FMF rev pipe and a rad valve change the rear sprocket to a 50 tooth, change the needle to a #1173 it will that out the mid power bog,

where in az are you?

im in seirra vista...well hereford actually but close enough

you can get a set of xr400 fork springs, kdx200 95-06 will interchange with the xr400, i done mine and they work so much better now, i changed my mine about installing usd forks, .42 springs will work just right for your weight, try it, to get more rev out of the 200 get you a FMF rev pipe and a rad valve change the rear sprocket to a 50 tooth, change the needle to a #1173 it will that out the mid power bog,

i have the FMF fatty pipe with the turbine 2 silencer,the bike doesnt bog in the mid it just falls kinda flat on top,but low and mid are sick,snappy throttle response and loads of bottom,doesnt smoke much and no spooge,im alittle worried about being to lean or having a slight air leak,last weekend after riding for a few hours saturday and sunday i noticed a lose of coolent,not sure if i over heated a bit in some tight stuff or what,i ll do a plug check when i get my new set of maxxis ITs on this week some time

Sounds about normal for a 220. Best way I know of to get more top end from it is a REV pipe and RB carb/head mods. For the forks, you will need stiffer springs at least. Even then, the valving is super soft.

Definitely get the "rev" or "desert" pipe for the bike. It will make the hit a little softer off the bottom and the engine will come on where it used to fall on it's face with the stock pipe. The powerband is much nicer and wider with the desert gnarly FMF pipe.

I had to go with heavier springs in the front forks on my 220 and I only weigh 130 pounds. I also installed the Racetech Gold Valve kit, which made the ride more plush and precise through the rocky stuff while maintaining firmness in big whoops.

cool thanx for the help everyone,im trying to find a used set of XR400 springs right now,like i said before im trying not to put much money in this chassis as im pretty sure im gonna build a hybrid over the winter,if anyone hears of a set of stock XR400 or .42 kdx springs for sale please hit me up : }