Sign in to follow this  

will bump start not kick start when cold

i have a 04 rm 125 that will bump start but not kickstart when cold and when i bump start it i takes a real long time before it will finally sputter to life. it use to always start right off first kick even if it sat 2 weeks. then i went rideing monday and it started no problem and then went to start it wendsday and out of the blue i had to bump start it and did the same thing thursday-today. but after the bike has warmed up it starts fine. i had this same exact problem with my kx 125 to. by the way it had a new piston put in last spring.

what could be the problem i am really disappointed to have the same problem on 2 bikes on a row. thanks

Sounds like time for a rebuild, how many hours are on your current topend?

would say aound 50ish hours it was weird how just all of a sudden it went from always starts first kick to have to push start when cold like a switch was turned on

You could do a compression like Vamped suggested but did you do a compression check after you rebuilt it? If not you have no way of knowing how much its lost. You could pull the pipe and have a look at the ring/s and see if there is any blow-by.

try to start it by hand with the kick start. it should be relatively hard but your best bet would be to get a compression tester. Also your getting close to time for a rebuild anyways... they should be rebuilt every 60 hours or so.

Mine does it but only if it sits for a week. I just rode a few towns over yesterday to stay at a friends house and today when i thought it would need a bump because of the overnight rest it didn't. Maybe your carb is gummed up?