Sign in to follow this  

cr500 to a 250f?

race hare scrambles and ride mostly trails. been on yz450f's the past 9 years but have too much issues with front end pushing and washing out. got a service honda cr500af now. handles like a dream and great power but cant get used to it jumping and no motor braking. looking at the new 2012 250f's. am 6'2 230lbs. have only ridden a old yz250f couple times. just trying to get some input if i should get back on a 450 or try the new 250f's. sure i can set a 250f up for my likeing. just dont wanna get the wrong bike

Coming from a YZ450 and an AF CR500, I would think that a 250F would be lacking power compared to what you are used to. Yes they can be ridden fast and yes they are an absolute blast to ride but if you are used to 500 2 stroke power or even 450 power, the bike will come up short. It would seem to me there could be different suspension and or tire combinations that would cure your front end washing out problem on your YZ. At the very least, you could go to CRF450 if you like the way the Honda handles. That should handle similar to your CR500 that you like already and have plenty of power and engine braking.

Coming from a YZ450 and an AF CR500, I would think that a 250F would be lacking power compared to what you are used to. Yes they can be ridden fast and yes they are an absolute blast to ride but if you are used to 500 2 stroke power or even 450 power, the bike will come up short. It would seem to me there could be different suspension and or tire combinations that would cure your front end washing out problem on your YZ. At the very least, you could go to CRF450 if you like the way the Honda handles. That should handle similar to your CR500 that you like already and have plenty of power and engine braking.

yea i tried all differnt mods and even triple clamps but the yz washed out alot from what i have read. never owned a fuel injected bike either, kinda sketchy about owning one. just cuz i cant work on it like a carbed bike. maybe the last year carbed crf450 is the answer

I know the honda 450 is the lightest one out there, but i here people having issues setting them up. I think you would feel really underpowered on a 250f. What about a 250 2 stroke? Power+light weight.:smashpc:

I know the honda 450 is the lightest one out there, but i here people having issues setting them up. I think you would feel really underpowered on a 250f. What about a 250 2 stroke? Power+light weight.:smashpc:

I was going to suggest the 250 2 stroke but he seemed to want some engine braking.

i grew up on 2 strokes in the 80's but rely to much on 4 stroke motor braking now days. i thought i could mod out the 250f motor for more power. but i guess that would lead to a 450. the new yz250f looks sweet but maybe a 450 is the way to go

i grew up on 2 strokes in the 80's but rely to much on 4 stroke motor braking now days. i thought i could mod out the 250f motor for more power. but i guess that would lead to a 450. the new yz250f looks sweet but maybe a 450 is the way to go

I hope you don't buy a bike purely one looks...:smashpc:

I hope you don't buy a bike purely one looks...:smashpc:

no way, would never do such a thing. i make them look better. here is my 500 that has to go. it looks good but just aint my style---100_0315.jpg

In my humble opinion I'd think a 250f may be small bike for your hight (small cockpit). And a RMZ450 may be just what you need.... Try to ride one as new as you can...

learn to control the bike in the air with the rear brake

that's what we all did before the thumpers made us lazy

In my humble opinion I'd think a 250f may be small bike for your hight (small cockpit). And a RMZ450 may be just what you need.... Try to ride one as new as you can...

i here the new yz250f's are the same size and have not got smaller over the years. how come you recommend the rmz. i have never ridden one or known anybody with one

no way, would never do such a thing. I make them look better. Here is my 500 that has to go. It looks good but just aint my style---100_0315.jpg

do not sell this bike. that thing is truely a gem.