Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf230 header problem "help"

driving up the road one day and my bike back fire'd i didn't pay any attention to it then i noticed it got a lot louder so i stopped checked it out and drove home i thought it was the gasket but i took off the exaust header to find then it had broke in 2.. so i bought a used one off my friend and put it on but it is blowing fumes out in one spot around were the header goes into the cylinder head. i checked for damage to the head and couldn't find anything i don't know what the gasket here is suppose to look like at all so it may be the gasket but i need help.

Its probably still stuck in the head. Usually what happens is you don't get the header bolts sinched up parallel, and one side is not sealing up properly. I'd just pull it appart, take the muffler section off too, then line up just the header. If you can feel the header and square it up and run the nuts down on both sides the same, then you should be able to tighten it up so it doesn't leak.

If you can't get it sealed per ronbuell's suggestion buy a new gasket. The gasket is an "O" ring shaped copper that crushes when the pipe is installed, sometimes a challenge to dig the old gasket out of the head.

is it normal for a little bit of the exaust to be leaking around were it goes into the cylinder.. it isnt much almost not noticable.. or is it going to hurt it if i drive it like that

IS it normal, not really. Any leak out also allows a small amount of air in which changes the scavenging of the the pipe. Usually you will get backfiring if its a large leak. Will it hurt it, no, but it will not run normally. Eventually you will get a burn thru or erroding of the header at the spot where its leaking, and the header will have to be replaced. Also, don't stack another gasket in there if you can't get the old one out.