Sign in to follow this  

91 XR600r gas leaking out of airbox

Just picked up a 1991 XR600r and one of the issues is it leaks gas out of the air filter in the airbox and drips out if you leave the petcock on. What could cause this? Is there something plugged in the carb that would cause the float to hang open and the fuel would fill into the barrel and out the intake?

i havent had this on my XR but on my old DR750 it did this and i replaced the float valve and O-ring, this sorted it.

The float valve is leaking/sticking. Pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning paying paying particuar attention to the pilot jet, it clogs easily. A new float needle and seat may be necessary. If you have little or no mechanical experience, get a service manual, it is invaluable for working on your bike.

I own an Aprilia, pretty much have to be a good mechanic lol. I figured it would be the float sticking, just seemed weird that it was coming out the airbox instead of the overflow tube. Found out why, the overflow tube was clogged up and was filling the barrel.

Pulled the carb all apart today, jets looked fine amazingly. Put everything into an ultrasonic cleaner then put it back together. Carb doesn't leak anymore except for a few drips out the overflow now and then. Needs a new float setup, but I have bigger problems than the carb at the moment. Looks like it needs a full overhaul, won't start without pulling it and smokes like a mosquito fogger on full!

Check the oil for fuel contamination, happens when the float is sticking, gas runs into the combustion chamber and leaks down into the crankcase. Oil smelling like gas and an overfull crankcase are the signs.

changed the oil, adjusted valve clearance, changed plug, used throttle body cleaner to try to get it to start, etc. It was a long day lol. Making a thread on it now for opinions on what to do...

Edited by chixwithtrix