Sign in to follow this  

Made my own axle and handebar sliders this weekend, what do you think?

Hopefully the pictures will make it pretty self explanatory what i did here. Credit to Jimmyhoffa for the awesome handlebar slider idea.

tap handlebars weith 5/8 -11 tap.

2011-09-30183323.jpg

2011-09-30182801.jpg

buy some 5/8 - 11 threaded rod and cut a section off, being sure to catch your saw on fire

2011-09-30202024.jpg

line bore and tap the threaded rod

2011-09-30202934.jpg

2011-09-30211329.jpg

2011-10-01015342.jpg

2011-10-01015400.jpg

2011-10-01012619.jpg

2011-10-01004507.jpg

• Like 3

2011-10-01212151.jpg

2011-10-01214213.jpg

2011-10-01190227.jpg

2011-10-01214239.jpg

i didnt document the axle sliders as much as i wanted to because i was in a hurry. i still have to drive 1.5 hours back to college tonight, so if there are any questions just let me know.

everything was made out of DuPont Delrin. Its a plastic type substance that is very hard, but easy to machine and looks great in my opinion. I bought 1ft of 1.5" rod and it did all 4 axles and the handlebars, but i had no room for error. I'm ordering more soon to make another set of sliders in case i lay it down a few times.

total cost for all 4 axle sliders and 2 handlebar sliders

Delrin - $ 14

Hardware, and threaded rods - $18

TOTAL - $ 32, and about 7 hours of design/trial error. good deal.

• Like 1

although a great idea for someone without a lathe and taps, I did that part myself for less than $5. :smashpc:👍

The "custom" parts are the best to show off! 👍

The "custom" parts are the best to show off! :smashpc:

next up is homemade hand guards out of aluminum stock!

Joester,very nice work.I miss having access to a machine shop.Keep in mind making handguards/Barkbusters that your paws are behind them and you dont want them to wrinkle and smash your ******* feelers.You sound and look very knowledgeable but i'd check ot 6061 aluminum (aluminium to our brothers down under -LOL) on Wiki before fabrication.Keep up the good posts!:smashpc:

Joester,very nice work.I miss having access to a machine shop.Keep in mind making handguards/Barkbusters that your paws are behind them and you dont want them to wrinkle and smash your ******* feelers.You sound and look very knowledgeable but i'd check ot 6061 aluminum (aluminium to our brothers down under -LOL) on Wiki before fabrication.Keep up the good posts!:smashpc:

thanks for the advice, and compliments. I'm going to school to be a mechanical engineer, and im in a metallurgy class right now. hopefully i'll learn some cool stuff that i can actually apply to making these hand guards!

I can also talk to my professor about it. My professor actually authored the book we use for the class, so i'm thinking he might have some good advice for me. plus hes always talking about cars, so i think he would appreciate a student coming to him for advice on a DIY project. I'm not sure if im looking for a high yield strength, or a high elongation. Both have their pros and cons, but the T6 or T4 6061 is looking tempting.

A good one to copy would be Enduro Engineering as I have personally tested these on trees riding my DR 350 at 30 plus mph and they got a scratch(Black Anodized).Just looked at their site and they aren't forthcoming with the material they are made from.I have Acerbis surpermoto on my SM and love them.Cycra makes a nice set too.Both $ so make your own:thumbsup: You are right T4 Or T6....I'm thinking T4 since you have to bend them to fit so much and don't want to make them brittle! Ask your professor/instructor and post.

They look great, really nice work!

I'd say maybe round off the edges of the axle sliders....sharp edges catch things, and may flip a bike.

Thanks for the compliments!

If I have time, I might try to anodize the aluminum hand guards I make myself. Hopefully I can make a run to the metal supply shop this weekend and get a start.

I wonder if any chem teachers here are also avid motorcyclists? hah

Thanks for the compliments!

If I have time, I might try to anodize the aluminum hand guards I make myself. Hopefully I can make a run to the metal supply shop this weekend and get a start.

I wonder if any chem teachers here are also avid motorcyclists? hah

were you thinking about anodizing them your self? or sending them out?

several years ago i found this sight and shared it on here. i havent looked over the site since but heres the link, its all about home brewing your own anodizing

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

very cool! been looking for a low cost slider solution.

a while back someone posted a link to delrin on ebay & i've been wanting to buy some.

did you turn the diameter of the delrin down?

it looks like 1 1/4" diameter in the picture with the ruler, but says you bought 1 1/2" rod?

trying to figure out what diameter i should buy. i don't have access to a lathe & was looking for something that didn't require machining of the final diameter.

or if anyone knows, what's the diameter of the oem sliders?

thanks

were you thinking about anodizing them your self? or sending them out?

several years ago i found this sight and shared it on here. i havent looked over the site since but heres the link, its all about home brewing your own anodizing

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

yes i might try to anodize them myself. Thanks for the link. I'll also have to check in with my friend. My 1st grade teacher's husband owns a powdercoating company and he gives me a very good deal on powdercoating. I'm not sure if he does anodizing, but i will have to check with him. That may just be the easy way out. By the way if you live near St. Louis and need powdercoating be sure to check out Microfinish in Fenton, MO. microfinishco.com/powder-coating/ (i am not involved with this company, just a shout out to a great guy)

Heck, i might just get them powdercoated black that would look just as good.

very cool! been looking for a low cost slider solution.

a while back someone posted a link to delrin on ebay & i've been wanting to buy some.

did you turn the diameter of the delrin down?

it looks like 1 1/4" diameter in the picture with the ruler, but says you bought 1 1/2" rod?

trying to figure out what diameter i should buy. i don't have access to a lathe & was looking for something that didn't require machining of the final diameter.

or if anyone knows, what's the diameter of the oem sliders?

thanks

I bought 1.5" rod and turned it down for the handlebar sliders, but the axle sliders havent been turned down at all. they are 1.5". My brother made his out of 2" and they look good too. its all about personal preference really. I like my 1.5" ones, honestly. either will work fine.

heres the exact auction from which i bought it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3076B-DELRIN-1-1-2-DIA-12-LONG-ROD-BLACK-SALE-/190499552306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5aa87c32

Great service. fast shipping. im buying some more from them very soon.

• Like 2