Sign in to follow this  

Low down Bog Problem after Air filter change?

Hey

My 2007 crf450x Bike has developed a bit of bog after just recently changing over to the No Toil cage setup i.e. not using the standard mesh backing any more. Really noticeable when hitting hill climbs in 2nd today went to grab a bit of throttle to wheelie over a rock ledge and it flamed out nothing! Caused me to crash out:banghead:

My current jetting is

168 main

45 pilot

standard leak jet

NCVS needle

Fuel screw 2 turns out

Lexx Slip on pipe

R header

Air box cut

Does the new filter set-up require a change to my jetting at all?

Thanks

Hey

168 main

45 pilot

standard leak jet CHANGE TO A 50 LEAK

NCVS needle

Fuel screw 2 turns out

Lexx Slip on pipe

R header

Air box cut

Thanks

Change the leak, and inspect your accelerator pump linkage to see if it's a new or old version (most 2007's came with the upgraded linkage). If it's the old version

mxa_ap_03.jpg

you need to change the apump linkage return spring http://www.mergeracing.com/products/AcceleratorPumpSpring.php

If it's the new version

141_0707_21_z+keihin_fcr_carb_tech+accelerator_pump_rod.jpg

you don't need the spring.

In both cases you need to adjust the linkage per the manual to get proper squirt timing.

Hey

168 main

45 pilot

standard leak jet CHANGE TO A 50 LEAK

NCVS needle

Fuel screw 2 turns out

Lexx Slip on pipe

R header

Air box cut

Thanks

Change the leak, and inspect your accelerator pump linkage to see if it's a new or old version (most 2007's came with the upgraded linkage). If it's the old version

mxa_ap_03.jpg

you need to change the apump linkage return spring http://www.mergeracing.com/products/AcceleratorPumpSpring.php

If it's the new version

141_0707_21_z+keihin_fcr_carb_tech+accelerator_pump_rod.jpg

you don't need the spring.

In both cases you need to adjust the linkage per the manual to get proper squirt timing.

Thanks Krannie

Forgot to mention I have a 2006 R cam and a aftermarket accelerator pump cover.

Do I still need to go the 50 leak jet? Do I need to take the carbie off to do this?

Thanks Krannie

Forgot to mention I have a 2006 R cam and a aftermarket accelerator pump cover.

Do I still need to go the 50 leak jet? Do I need to take the carbie off to do this?

If it is a Boyeseen adjustable leak jet, you might have to chuck it, cause some were built so poorly, they made problems in the apump system.

The R&D version works great.

Nope it was a cheapie off RMATV I think it was called a raven afterburner or something?

So do I need to take the carbie off to do the leak jet. I would imgaine you would have to, to take off the fuel bowl??

Did the bike run fine just prior to changing to the no toil unit? If so are you sure you didn't just over oil the filter? Is there oil on the bottom of the air box?

I put the 50 leak jet in. Still getting plenty of bog down low.:bonk: But its only when I run the non cage filter. I have also gobe with a 48 pilot. My accelerator pump is the newer version but I have not put the o-ring in.

Do I need to go richer on the needle? Currently I am at 3rd clip from the top. Maybe I should just run the caged filter and forget about the other.

I put the 50 leak jet in. Still getting plenty of bog down low.:bonk: But its only when I run the non cage filter. I have also gobe with a 48 pilot. My accelerator pump is the newer version but I have not put the o-ring in.

Do I need to go richer on the needle? Currently I am at 3rd clip from the top. Maybe I should just run the caged filter and forget about the other.

You first need to verify proper accelerator pump operation.

Loosen the rear air boot, remove the muffler, tilt up the sub frame:

Watching closely the intake of the carb, watch the stream of fuel come out of the brass nozzle in the bell of the carb. It should shoot all the way into the head, just missing the slide. It should squirt every time. If it hits the slide, turn the adjustment screw under the black cover clockwise a 1/2 turn at a time until is just misses the slide.

You probably have a clogged acclerator pump nozzle.