MX on XR250

I have started doing MX at the local tracks on my 05 XR250. It has been essentially stock but now want to make some mods. I have read Gordons mods and just pulled spark arrestor (love the noise seems like a big power boost), but haven't raced it like that yet. I am getting some really strange looks at the track, "Look at the old guy an the old bike haha. But Im having a ball. Any one else doing MX and how are you doing, what mods have you found the most beneficial. My skill deff needs improvement but a little more power would be great.

Oh yea, those of you that have pulled arrestor and opened up airbox did you rejet and did you notice much difference??

I have started doing MX at the local tracks on my 05 XR250. It has been essentially stock but now want to make some mods. I have read Gordons mods and just pulled spark arrestor (love the noise seems like a big power boost), but haven't raced it like that yet. I am getting some really strange looks at the track, "Look at the old guy an the old bike haha. But Im having a ball. Any one else doing MX and how are you doing, what mods have you found the most beneficial. My skill deff needs improvement but a little more power would be great.

Oh yea, those of you that have pulled arrestor and opened up airbox did you rejet and did you notice much difference??

For sure jet richer. Pull the snorkel and get a uni filter also.

what mods have you found the most beneficial. ??

Suspension. Get the suspension resprung/revalved for your weight, best money you can spend on any bike. 2nd, have the cylinder bored for 277cc (77mm piston) and replace the cruddy Keihin carb with a pumper. For a little cheaper than a pumper, a Mikuni TM34 flat slide works pretty good.

Motion Pro can fix you up with a throttle and cable, www.motionpro.com but you will need to have an aluminum adapter machined for the rear of the carb to the airbox boot. XRs Only used to offer a kit ready to install on the 250, I bought a kit in '97 for my '96 280 but I don't see it on their website anymore for the '96s and later, only up through '95. You might contact them and ask. www.xrsonly.com