Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Headwork? Suggestions or Reccomendations ?

Looking for a good place to send my XR cylinder head to have exhaust valve seat replaced and valve guides replaced and possibly porting. Anywhere on line or in my state of Florida. Thanks!

headsupporting.com I went through these dudes. They had great turnaround time; it was gone for 5 working days. They were very professional and they do really good work also. Just don't buy anything but their work. I could have saved myself $50 by not buying a cam through them.

Thanks for the info. I have a 94 650l 102 mm 10.5:i stage 1 hot cam, dyno jet, uni filter,high output coil, crf fenders, baja design taillight and a spare motor I am building. did you notice a lot out of the porting?

Just know that the seats are not replaceable as far as Honda is concerned. You will need a seat manufactured and installed. It's not something that any shop can do. You need to be sure that you are going with a place that knows what it's doing.

Thanks for the info. I have a 94 650l 102 mm 10.5:i stage 1 hot cam, dyno jet, uni filter,high output coil, crf fenders, baja design taillight and a spare motor I am building. did you notice a lot out of the porting?

I didn't do things one at a time. Over last winter I did 10.5 piston, cam, full exhaust, jetting, and the porting all in one shot. So I noticed a huge difference but I can't say how much of that was the the porting.

Thanks frignhigh for the heads up on headsupporting.com I also talked to engine dynamics this evening and they can do the seats, the guides, valve job and flow bench porting , just depends on the size of my wallet. Would appreciate any other ideas for mods for a project motor ? bike rips now just bored and don't know what to do with extra motor

I have a CNC ported head by CW with his serdi 3 angle valve job and it flows some big numbers, it made 5 extra horse on the dyno..so yes it's makes a difference if it's done right.

I would find somebody that knows the XRL inside an out before I just shipped my head off to have it ported.:smashpc:

The size and shape of the runners are very important and flatting the floor makes a huge difference, he scrapped many heads before he got the correct port map that works. He also mills the head to remove the small ridge in the combustion chamber flat about .016th., that tightens the squish area. The XRL head also needs more quench area you accomplish this by tig welding a larger ring around the chamber right up tight to the intake valves and then relieve that new material by the two intakes or lay that area back for better low lift numbers.

Also a 80 grit glass bead works the best on the intake runners for fuel atomization.

And a 320 grit on the ex. and then polish the chamber to a mirror finish.

You don't need to polish the ex like everyone thinks you have to it looks prudy but does nothing.

A 320 grit is pretty damn fine and works well or just leave the cnc cutter makes there....

There's alot more to it than just taking material out and getting bigger flow numbers, you want the intake to out flow the ex by 35% and then you have cam selection after you have ported your new head, with out the right cam your time and money spent is wasted along with the right compression ratio.

A 106.5 lsa seems o work good with his heads unless you have one of his big bore stroker motors than he won't tell you what works because he's put alot of money in making them work, that is unless you want to fork over some beans.👍

I just got my 760cc motor from him, can't wait to try it out.

Pop's

• Like 1

You haven't said why you think you need a new valve seat.

A typical valve job involves a simple re-grinding of the seat. That may or may not involve new valves and guides, but all that is something that can be inspected. Any auto machine shop should be able to do this job.

Look around your area, there's probably one closer than you think.

The canted valve heads are a pain to set up,for each valve seat you have to reset the head, it takes more time than a pent roof head or inline head.

Alot of your automotive shops won't do them or dont have the correct tooling and pilots.

But I'm sure you will find somebody in your area that can do it, all I can say is don't use the hand held cutters.

pwrpapa is right on about the porting :smashpc:

Living in Florida would make me think that having it be a big fin head to help keep the combustion chamber temps down would as part of the plan. 👍

An aluminum head expands faster then the steel valve seats do. Heat is the main problem that causes valve seats to fall out. 😛

A 106.5 lsa seems to work good with his head

I just got my 760cc motor from him, can't wait to try it out.

Pop's

Post up some pics and details. 🤣

Come on Pop's. 🤣

Quit teasing us.... :busted:

🤣

Ok here's the story,2 years ago I had a local shop do the top end, after a couple of mistakes I get it back and it's a 102 mm bore and it runs like shit. I toke it to another local shop and he tells me I need a rod and new head,that the seat feel out. it will cost 2000 to fix. My girlfriend bought me a motor of ebay but when it arrived it was in a garbage bag, still full of oil and a broken shift return, He would not refund so it's time for me to do the work.3 years ago I had laser surgery gone bad and it's hard to see the things I need to see.

I inspect the motor in bike and the rod is fine, mic cylinder it's fine, ran hone through it and re-ring je piston. The head on original motor was bad the valve seat just feel out and I haven't checked the others. Took head off ebay motor cleaned it up reseated valves, new stem seals and the bike now runs great! 180 psi of comp, but it smokes lightly. The piston looked brand new no blow by or carbon build-up so I'm thinking the valve guide seals are causing my smoking? I also want to build up the extra motor. so the plan was to start with the bad head, get it worked and bolt on running motor and over winter build extra motor. Heading up to NJ for scrub pine enduro with it next Tuesday will be interesting been running enduros on and off for 25 years but never on a locomotive!! Any thoughts on the smoke? this is my first thumper and how do I get hold of the infamous cycle wizard?

Hey tnt thanks for the imput on the big fin head were can I get this done? I don't mind sending it out on someones recomendation just haven't got a good vibe from any local shops or machine shops, or quality of any work for that matter down here, unless I need my surfboard glassed and I can do that myself!

Ok here's the story,2 years ago I had a local shop do the top end, after a couple of mistakes I get it back and it's a 102 mm bore and it runs like shit. I toke it to another local shop and he tells me I need a rod and new head,that the seat feel out. it will cost 2000 to fix. My girlfriend bought me a motor of ebay but when it arrived it was in a garbage bag, still full of oil and a broken shift return, He would not refund so it's time for me to do the work.3 years ago I had laser surgery gone bad and it's hard to see the things I need to see.

I inspect the motor in bike and the rod is fine, mic cylinder it's fine, ran hone through it and re-ring je piston. The head on original motor was bad the valve seat just feel out and I haven't checked the others. Took head off ebay motor cleaned it up reseated valves, new stem seals and the bike now runs great! 180 psi of comp, but it smokes lightly. The piston looked brand new no blow by or carbon build-up so I'm thinking the valve guide seals are causing my smoking? I also want to build up the extra motor. so the plan was to start with the bad head, get it worked and bolt on running motor and over winter build extra motor. Heading up to NJ for scrub pine enduro with it next Tuesday will be interesting been running enduros on and off for 25 years but never on a locomotive!! Any thoughts on the smoke? this is my first thumper and how do I get hold of the infamous cycle wizard?

CW can do the big fin head and porting and valve work, he has a serdi and a brand spankin new Newen too, incredible machine.

You can reach him at cwpiston@aol.com or cyclewizard@aol.com

He makes his own brand of pistons too for big bore XR's..

The only thing is he's really busy...

Pop's

CW can do the big fin head and porting and valve work, he has a serdi and a brand spankin new Newen too, incredible machine.

You can reach him at cwpiston@aol.com or cyclewizard@aol.com

He makes his own brand of pistons too for big bore XR's..

The only thing is he's really busy...

Pop's

Hey Pops,

I hope CW is heading South next week for a few days... Are you going to be able to join him? I look forward to meeting you, get some riding in, tell a few lies, bench race, etc.... :smashpc: