Info on a 2007 505sxf??

Looking to get back into riding MX/harescrambles. A dealer has a 2007 505sxf for $3900. the bike was a demo and i guess has only a few hours on it. price does seem a little much, but maybe I can deal down.

My question is how were these bikes? i can't find any info on them; all i can find is info on the 08 505sxf. was there any major problems? would it be worth it to purchase? any help would be awsome.

on a good day it's worth 2700.

The 07 has a lighter crank (may or may not be a good thing for you) and is limited to being a 4spd (later cases can accept the xcf 5spd.

The oil pumps (3) all will need replaced, as well as the bypass spring needs shimmed. The 07-08's ate heads due to oil starvation.

I had an 07 450sxf with a big bore kit and never had a single issue in 150+ hours. I never did anything with my oil pumps and the 4 speed is not an issue at least with motocross anyway. I have a 2010 450sxf now with a big bore as well with over 55 hours on it so far.

I had an 07 450sxf with a big bore kit and never had a single issue in 150+ hours. I never did anything with my oil pumps and the 4 speed is not an issue at least with motocross anyway. I have a 2010 450sxf now with a big bore as well with over 55 hours on it so far.

KTM issued a service bulletin on the bypass spring, and superseded the pumps in 09.

It's generally recommended that the pumps are replaced every 40 hours.

the pumps failing and the bypass spring being too short lead to seized cams/ruined heads.

DJH came up with a manual cam chain tensioner to replace the stock hydraulic unit. It allows a larger shim on the bypass spring for more pressure to the head.

This is what happened to the early pumps, and the subsequent head damage

IMG_0231Medium.jpg

DSC02052_resized.jpg

KTM issued a service bulletin on the bypass spring, and superseded the pumps in 09.

It's generally recommended that the pumps are replaced every 40 hours.

the pumps failing and the bypass spring being too short lead to seized cams/ruined heads.

DJH came up with a manual cam chain tensioner to replace the stock hydraulic unit. It allows a larger shim on the bypass spring for more pressure to the head.

This is what happened to the early pumps, and the subsequent head damage

IMG_0231Medium.jpg

DSC02052_resized.jpg

I'm not denying that there wasn't a problem with the oil pumps, I heard about them, just stating that I never had any issues with my 07, and by the looks of that, I'm glad I didn't. I just put a DJH manual tensioner in my 2010, works great and super easy to install.

New upgraded pumps at the end of the season should be fine. I did my 07s stockers at 60ish hours and they were fine. The DJH cc adjuster is a nice mod and gives more oil up to the head. My 450 crank is on my shelf, did 150 hours before I installed a 505 kit and is ready to do another 150, no wear at all.

Tuff engines if fed good oil with new pumps. Some had clutch baskets come apart, mine looked as new at 150 hrs too.

As far as off road, I hated mine in that role. Lots of snap and suspension is all wrong, harsh on little stuff, easier to use a EXC/XC IMO. Its a big hammer for the job. Out of all the MX open class bikes its probably the smoothest though.

Track only bike for me. Great at MX, not so great on a trail. Faster scrambles probably OK. Anything tight and rooty or rocky, just nasty and hard work.

The 07 505 is my main bike still, after all these years. I love it. I have 400+ something hours. I never changed the oil pumps, just looked at one of them today and it looks like new still. I've had two top ends done, 30 hrs or so on the current one. Replaced one clutch, lots of suspension seals, wheel and swingarm bearings, seat (when they wear out it really hurts your ass), lots of plastics, 1 hub, several sprockets / chains (not since I went with ironman sprockets though). I'll be parting mine out in the next few months probably and finally get a new bike.

My problem with the 4 speed is lack of top speed, and that's with 14/49 gearing. Though it will do 80 its at the max rpm pretty much. I don't have a problem with the tall first gear, though my clutch hand can get tired in long periods of tight / technical terrain. Mostly it just makes me faster. I love the ratio of the 4 speed otherwise. I paid $4k for mine with 10 hours 3 years ago. I've ridden it everywhere, mx, mtn singletrack, harescrambles, h&h, best in the desert races, I've even put about 2000 miles on it in Baja on two separate trips. I've had some issues, but I've loved this bike and for the most part its been very durable and reliable.

I have an 07 505 with 90 hrs on it. I ride moto only and prior to this bike I never kept a bike for more than 2 seasons. I have owned all of the major brands except Suzuki. I never checked the valves or opened the top end until 80 hrs. I changed the piston and ring. The valves were still right in the middle of the specs and the piston looked good. The ring was shot. The motor looked like new inside. I intend to ride it until the big change, possibly 2013. This bike is still as tight as new. KTM quality is unmatched as far as I am concerned. I did have to get a new rear wheel because the hub came apart; and no, the chain was not too tight. The bike remains competitive as it has insane power. I just had to get the right springs front and rear for my weight and adjust the fork oil height. To lighten the bike, I put a turntech battery in it and a full ti Akra exhaust system.