Changing gear ratios for enduros

I"d like to modify my 05 to make it more enduro friendly. Rekluse clutch, wide gear ratio and starter. The obvious is to go with a x bottom end and sell my R or swap it out with someone.

Are there any other solutions? Changing sprockets will get me shorter first gear but not affect the spread. Is a transmission ratio possible or even cost effective?

Stephen

i have never heard of anyone swapping out a X gearbox with one of a R but that does not mean it cannot be done. The starter can be added but you will need new cases, wiring, starter motor plus an extra cog for the starter to turn. it can be done but its certainly easier to buy a X and out a R top end on it. But you can keep the R by making it my trail friendly but obviously no electric starter.

What I did with mine was fit a Steahly Flywheel weight and run a small sprocket at the back. It may also allow you to ride without the need for the Rekluse. This set up allowed the bike very usable for technical enduro racing and general riding

I did try running a smaller sprocket on the front 13 if memory serves me but found it was great in the tight stuff but lost abit of top speed but who really hits 5 flat out riding enduros really?

Hope this helps

Most cost effective would be to sell your R and buy the X.

The X gearbox cannot be swapped into the R cases, however, you could swap the entire bottom end to an X and retain your R top end.

You would need the wiring harness from the X in order to utilize the electric starter. Also a subframe,airbox,seat and left side panel from an X would make the conversion easier in order to have a mount for a battery.

All in all it would be simplier to sell the R and start over with an X.

Thanks for the responses. I'd heard before that the tranny cannot be interchanged probably because of the starter. I'm running 13 x 53 sprockets now.

Since this is a mx bike, I would think that different gear ratios are available from Honda. Isn't just a case of opening up the tranny and swapping out gears?

The heavier flywheel may be a pretty good option instead of the Rekluse however it doesn't solve the gearing problem.

I"d like to modify my 05 to make it more enduro friendly. Rekluse clutch, wide gear ratio and starter. The obvious is to go with a x bottom end and sell my R or swap it out with someone.

Are there any other solutions? Changing sprockets will get me shorter first gear but not affect the spread. Is a transmission ratio possible or even cost effective?

Stephen

The way to do it would be to compare parts fiche for both bikes.

If you can find a common trans gear on each shaft, that might tell you that the shafts are of the same diameter. Or you could get lucky and find the shafts are the same part number. Even still there are many other factors which makes this very trial and error. Like the side cogs lining up with your other gear sets.

I always wonder why I see posts like this.

I just bought a Honda Shadow and want to convert it for motocross use, but retain the lighting system for the occasional desert race, and night rides around the block. Where should I start?

Personally it always surprises me that people run such short gearing as 13/53 and want wide ratio trans. Do you even use 1st gear at all? I ride in tight woods for the most part in northwest and I hardly ever use 1st gear at 13/51. Maybe that's why i'm slow? ?