Sacramento Area Trails?

My wife and I are thinking about heading West. Specifically the Sacramento area. I've been looking through the forum for areas around Sacramento.?

I'm currently in Florida, and prefer single track stuff. What does the area have to offer. I'm flying up soon to check out the area, and make a final decision.

Any advice would be appreciated. Where are the better places to live (low crime). I don't mind a commute, and I'd prefer something off the beaten track.

Thank you.:smashpc:?

There's a lot of great riding within 1-3 hours of Sacramento itself. I ride single track pretty much every weekend and can usually do a spring-fall season in the Sierra Nevadas with only repeating a place once or twice. Winter gets a little tougher as the snow cancels out a lot of places to ride, but there is still quite a bit in the coast hills that would keep you busy all season. Prepare for some major differences from Florida riding though.

Auburn, Placerville or pretty much anywhere in the foothills would be a good compromise on commute versus being away from the "city." I'm sure other people can give you a lot more insight on that part of it.

The east side of Sacrameto is the best place to live. I'm 20 minutes east of town and less than 1 hour from several great riding areas.

The trails are mostly in the forest. Some of the harder trails are rocky. Then there's the Nevada desert a short drive. Totaly different and killer good.

Check out riderplanet-usa.com there are plenty of pictures.

Georgetown Foresthill and Elkins Flat are all close to Sac.

like everybody said, theres plenty of great riding within 1-3 hours of sac.

as far as good areas to live, in or around sac- roseville, folsom, cameron park, granite bay. just stay away form south sacramento.

A great place to live is any of the towns from Roseville east up the I-80 corridor. These are all very close to the sierras. For great pictures of the places you'll be riding, try looking at the motherlodedualsport.com website. One note, if your bike is street legal, it opens up many more opportunities for riding in the sierras but there are lots of areas to ride if your not plated.

Welcome to Nor Cal.....If your looking to have everything bundled into one...Best Single Track, Hare Scramble, Trail Rides from Mild to Wild, Motocross, check out the sites, Premier Riding that Northern Cal has to offer with a challenge, you might want to check out our site PineRidgeMCRanch.com Your Wife will enjoy as well, on site riding, hiking, shopping or just relax. PineRidge has something for everyone rider or non rider. We have Airport Pick up. If your coming in the weekend, and want to ride join us in our Back Country 250. Conditions will be EPIC!!!

were at in Florida are you coming from ???? your making a great decision, ill trash Florida on a later post.?? you can ride all year around out west

Florida has NOTHING for street riding unless your a squid. However the trails are not bad. Just a lot of sand. I grew up in the mountains, so I'm guessing I know what your thinking. I haven't had to fend off any gators yet either.:smashpc:

Welcome to Nor Cal.....If your looking to have everything bundled into one...Best Single Track, Hare Scramble, Trail Rides from Mild to Wild, Motocross, check out the sites, Premier Riding that Northern Cal has to offer with a challenge, you might want to check out our site PineRidgeMCRanch.com Your Wife will enjoy as well, on site riding, hiking, shopping or just relax. PineRidge has something for everyone rider or non rider. We have Airport Pick up. If your coming in the weekend, and want to ride join us in our Back Country 250. Conditions will be EPIC!!!

Excellent. I just won't tell my wife about the shopping.:smashpc:

If you want go to our site. E-mail me, Let me know when your coming in or if your driving in would assume if your bringing your bike. If your coming in this weekend may have a bike for you. All though our ride this weekend is for A & B riders only.(not sure your stat) Maybe we can help with the lodging rather then paying such a high price for hotels etc when ever you do come in. I am sure you both will dig it. Kimberley

Coming from FL you, and/or your wife may have a bit of a harder time adjusting to our winters. Usually during the winter the tule fog rolls into the valley and you can go over a month without seeing the sun. Auburn and above usually are just above the fog, but usually sees one light dusting of snow a year. If I were to work in Sac, I would probably live in Auburn or Granite Bay. Depending on where you work Placerville may be a bit more of a drive that you would like. If you prefer off the beaten path Roseville and Rocklin probably are not the places for you. It also looks like they are finishing up the construction on hwy 80 near Roseville which should help with the commute into Sac. If you decide to look south of Folsom Lake, I would recommend staying away from El Dorado Hills, or at least doing an extensive amount of research with regards to the soils.

Places to ride in Auburn there is an OHV (Mammoth Bar) for a quick fix or a quick OHV track day. Foresthill & Georgetown are also down the road for a bit more excitement. There will probably be a lot more elevation changes than you are use to, and a lot more rocks I assume.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where you sit financially but you have to be pretty well off to afford a

home in many of the communities mentioned like Folsom, Granite Bay,Rocklin, etc.. same

with the Foothills. There are some nice, crime free, affordable communities in the city. My neighborhood (Arden-Arcade) is pretty quiet, although the hood has been creeping closer and closer seems like every year. I can drive five miles now from my home and be in the hood, same with parts of Carmichael. How does that happen ?

On a more positive note, as you've already heard, there's lots of cool places to ride not

too far from here in all directions. Pick your terrain, coastal mountains, the Sierras, the flat n rocky trails (PC) crazy hill climbs (Carnegie) it's all good.

I'm not sure where you sit financially but you have to be pretty well off to afford a

home in many of the communities mentioned like Folsom, Granite Bay,Rocklin, etc.. same

with the Foothills. There are some nice, crime free, affordable communities in the city. My neighborhood (Arden-Arcade) is pretty quiet, although the hood has been creeping closer and closer seems like every year. I can drive five miles now from my home and be in the hood, same with parts of Carmichael. How does that happen ?

On a more positive note, as you've already heard, there's lots of cool places to ride not

too far from here in all directions. Pick your terrain, coastal mountains, the Sierras, the flat n rocky trails (PC) crazy hill climbs (Carnegie) it's all good.

Outside the main section of Auburn is pretty affordable (ie Christian Valley). I was looking at homes with 1-2 acres for under 300K, and with interest rates below 4% you payments would be way less than renting.

Thanks for all the information (even Craig).?

Flying up soon to look for places.

I live up the Highway 50 route near Placerville (look it up) about half way between two major riding areas; The Georgetown/Rock Creek area and the Elkins Flat/Gold Note area well under an hour from driveway to staging area.

Homes around here are around the $300,000 range include at least 5 acres and 2100 sq.ft. of home. For 2 acres it less of course.

I'm about 45 minutes from downtown Sacramento and an hour from the airport as well. Try to get out of Sacramento and prices, traffic, crime, etc. are much lower and the country/quality of life improves; schools, recreation, summer heat, etc.

If you let me know when you are coming, would be happy to put you up for a few days or just show you around the area. We have a big log house that is designed to accommodate company. Our neighbor is a real estate agent and very good, so I'd be happy to introduce you to her as well.

Do you have a job lined up or looking? What line of work are you in?

Most of the homes talked about are up I-80 or highway 50.

I-80 has Roseville, Auburn, Grass Valley... on up to Lake Tahoe.

I-50 has Placerville (original Hangton MX track), on up to Lake Tahoe

Both of those areas are nice. If you get to just the right elevation, you won't get the crazy summer heat, nor the winter snow.

The Sacramento area was over built during the housing boom... just like Florida, so watch where you buy. You could get stuck or get a really great deal. It's really buyer beware.

$300k for a house with 5 acres??? Maybe I can retire there. ?

$300k for a house with 5 acres??? Maybe I can retire there. ?

Just sold on our road. Most homes are in the $400,000 price range so this was a great value and at the end of the road.

5 acres and 1900 sq. ft.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6780-Monitor-Rd-El-Dorado-CA-95623/18608018_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Just down the street is another house on the market for $600,000, so it's in a great area...

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6940-Monitor-Ct-El-Dorado-CA-95623/83901494_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}