When to stop using helmet?

I had a crash last weekend and landed on my shoulder and head. Launched about 90' off a single down into a valley and landed in a deep rut, which proceeded to throw me over the bars on my head. Didn't knock me out, but did knock the wind and sense out of me. The crash didn't break the helmet anywhere, except a small crack in the middle of the visor.

I've always heard that you shouldn't use a helmet after a crash, so I thought I'd see what everyone's opinion is on this. Is the helmet safe to continue to use, or should I toss it? The helmet in question is a Thor Force.

Did you take an impact to your head? I have had a high speed get off where I did not hit my head but I did slide through the dirt and brush at a pretty high speed which broke my visor off. I just bought a new visor and am still using the helmet. If I had felt I had a hard head impact, I would have seriously considered replacement of the helmet. If you look at your helmet and find any evidence of impact or damage, replace it.

Another thing to consider is helmet foam does break down over time of normal use. Officially the helmet should probably be replaced every year or so. Unfortunately this is not in my budget. I make sure my helmet still fits snug and there is no damage and just ride.

I am sure you will get a variety of answers.

I wear a 200 dollar price range helmet. If I wore a 600 dollar Shoei or Arai, better last longer.

I'm lucky if my helmets make it more than a year.

Wiped out wearing my dualsport helmet a few weeks ago... that *thunk* on pavement means the helmet's done. Had that one about 18 months.

Between my tip-overs on dirt and faceplants in the snow, I aim to replace my offroad helmet every year. It's usually got a funk that doesn't wash out by then anyways.

Did you take an impact to your head? I have had a high speed get off where I did not hit my head but I did slide through the dirt and brush at a pretty high speed which broke my visor off. I just bought a new visor and am still using the helmet. If I had felt I had a hard head impact, I would have seriously considered replacement of the helmet. If you look at your helmet and find any evidence of impact or damage, replace it.

Another thing to consider is helmet foam does break down over time of normal use. Officially the helmet should probably be replaced every year or so. Unfortunately this is not in my budget. I make sure my helmet still fits snug and there is no damage and just ride.

I am sure you will get a variety of answers.

I wear a 200 dollar price range helmet. If I wore a 600 dollar Shoei or Arai, better last longer.

Yeah, I landed on the right side of my head. The left side of the helmet was pinned against my left shoulder. I wasn't wearing a neck brace of any sort, so I guess I got lucky landing the way I did. If I keep riding, I'll probably try one again. This week, I've been contemplating just giving it up all together. Not worth being paralized or worse.

Just replace it. You came out good this time more than likely due to the good helmet you were wearing that hadnt suffered any big crashes. Now that it has is it still as good? Who knows. Like everyone said. Its your head!

Yeah, I landed on the right side of my head. The left side of the helmet was pinned against my left shoulder. I wasn't wearing a neck brace of any sort, so I guess I got lucky landing the way I did. If I keep riding, I'll probably try one again. This week, I've been contemplating just giving it up all together. Not worth being paralized or worse.

holy sh!t! no neckbrace! how did you survive!

seriously tho, if you have zero scuff marks on the helmet outside, and take it apart and no cracks or any other type of damage anywhere, its more than likely fine. knocking the wind out of yourself wasnt because you smacked your head. use your judgement. noone knows how hard your head hit better than you do. ive broken visors from roost. your broken visor means nothing.

seriously tho, if you have zero scuff marks on the helmet outside, and take it apart and no cracks or any other type of damage anywhere, its more than likely fine. knocking the wind out of yourself wasnt because you smacked your head. use your judgement. noone knows how hard your head hit better than you do. ive broken visors from roost. your broken visor means nothing.

The helmet has some scratches on the right side just in front of the ear. I've looked it over the best I can, and haven't noticed any cracks of any sort. The foam inside looks to be normal and not disturbed or deformed. The track was tilled up pretty deep, so I think that saved the helmet a lot of impact.

I knocked the wind out of myself from my chest hitting the bars as I went over. My thighs are bruised too from catching the bars. I'll get a new helmet if I keep the bike.

Helmets have crumple zones like cars do. The inner material that is meant to absorb the impact will have done it's job and is now unable to do so again. Even if the outer shell just looks scratched, if you banged it on the ground, the helmet did it's job and needs to be replaced.

Helmets have crumple zones like cars do. The inner material that is meant to absorb the impact will have done it's job and is now unable to do so again. Even if the outer shell just looks scratched, if you banged it on the ground, the helmet did it's job and needs to be replaced.

Yep! :smashpc:

A helmet can show absolutely no sign of damage yet still be compromised and in need of replacement. If you took an impact to the head then your helmet is done. Is it really worth the chance on your next get off that the helemt is not up to par? Only you can answer that question for yourself. Me, there isn't any way I would ever wear that helmet again! I would cut the strap and throw it in the trash.

Because neck braces my or may not be a gimmick...

I had a crash last weekend and landed on my shoulder and head. ............... Didn't knock me out, but did knock the ...........sense out of me.

Since the crash knocked the sense out of you, you can borrow mine until you regain yours. GET A NEW HELMET, GET A NEW HELMET. Throw yours away so nobody else can use it. DO NOT RELY ON A SELF INSPECTION.

Helmets are really designed to dissipate energy in part through deformation of the liner. It has done its job and its ability to dissipate energy has been reduced even if you cannot see any damage.

Arai and Shoie will examine helmets for free after a crash and provide a report on the condition of the helmet. Shoie pays return freight all you have to do is send it to them. Another reason to wear one of their helmets.

pull the liner out, see if theres any stress marks in the foam. if there is then its time to replace

Even if there are no stress marks... if the impact material has a big dent on the outside of it (which you can't see because the shell is in the way) then it's still done, stress marks or not.

I dropped my helmet off my luggage rack onto a rock and replaced it as soon as I could afford a new helmet. You cannot imagine the force of a minor impact focused on a single point. Some of the hospitals around here used to x-ray helmets for people to examine them for spider cracks. It's was pretty scary, what some people were riding around with, thinking they were protected.

If you have to ask, new helmet, period. If you ask the manufacturers, even dropping on your helmet on concrete is reason for a new one, but any crash is compelling cause for a new one. And what you describe, is without a doubt a crash.

I am not contradicting any advice that anyone here is giving but I do have a question. Has anyone heard of or scene a crash where someone was injured from a helmet that was previously damaged or even scene a crash where someone was hurt from a cheeper brand helmet? Not sure if I worded it correctly. I am not talking about a helmet that has obvious damage or wear.

It has just been my experience that as long as you have a good helmet that fits well then you are protected. Example. 50 dollar bell Helmet vs 600 dollar Arai or Shoei. Does the Shoei offer additional protection that average off roader will notice?