Sign in to follow this  

Popup Toyhauler... homemade

Has anyone ever built a homemade toy hauler using a old popup camper and attached it to a larger flat bed trailer? if so what needs to be considered and what are the cost? I have seen older popup for $1000 and flatbed trailers for $2000. I figure for $3500 I could have a nice set up. That is a lot cheaper than buying the fleetwood model for 10K!. But I would like to hear if anyone has tried this and any advise.

I saw one of these listed on CL about a year or so ago from up in PA somewhere, It looked like a great idea. The guy had the pop up on the front mounted sideways, then a sitting and grilling area with I think it was either a couple bike or 4 wheelers on the back. If I would have had the cash I would have been all over it, as it looked like a great set up.

I have also seen people build almost the same thing using the sleeper section off a big rig, instead of the popup. I have seen this set up used to save space on the trailer so they could still fit a Jeep or off-road vehicle on the trailer.

Sorry I don’t have any more info but keep up posted if you build one.

I've seen that done, and I've also seen a PU camper mounted onto a gooseneck with the cabover bed section over the hitch area, with the rear deck open for hauling a Jeep, buggy or bikes/atv's.

The things I can think of off the top of my head would be water/sewer drains, the piping usually hangs down lower than the frame, but this could be overcome with a little thought and personal engineering.

Also, wheelwell interference depending on the width of the trailer it's being mounted on and the width of the popup camper trailer being used.

I love the idea of the GN trailer with a small 5th wheel attached. The only bad thing is that I have small childeren and that deck would be a long fall for a wee one.

I love the idea of the GN trailer with a small 5th wheel attached. The only bad thing is that I have small childeren and that deck would be a long fall for a wee one.

Build some railings.

CH; I was talking about flight of stairs you would have with a 5th on top of a GN. The GN's I like tend to be a little tall. I dont mind my kinds falling down one or two steps but there would be a few more with the custom setup.

I like what you guys have done mike.

CH; I was talking about flight of stairs you would have with a 5th on top of a GN. The GN's I like tend to be a little tall. I dont mind my kinds falling down one or two steps but there would be a few more with the custom setup.

I like what you guys have done mike.

My daughter is 18 months, and can navigate the stairs in our home without worry, same for the front steps.

I don't see how it would be any more or less dangerous than that.

My daughter is 18 months, and can navigate the stairs in our home without worry, same for the front steps.

I don't see how it would be any more or less dangerous than that.

No trying to start a battle or anything. My kids must be very uncordinated or I dont park the TH very well cause almost every camping trip someone (sometimes me after a few beverages) crashes on the steps. Basicly just saying its a long way up.

No trying to start a battle or anything. My kids must be very uncordinated or I dont park the TH very well cause almost every camping trip someone (sometimes me after a few beverages) crashes on the steps. Basicly just saying its a long way up.

I feel your pain, my oldest (16 yrs) can wind up with a concussion in a foam pit.

My youngest tonight (18 mos) managed to climb on the 50 all by herself without tipping it over, and get in position to rip and was making motor noises.