Sign in to follow this  

2011 vs 2012 XCW frame

Who has experience with both? Its time for a new bike but I'm torn on the frame changes. I have read on here and in trail rider that many fast guys like the old frame better, is there any truth to that? The old style frame doesn't seem to be holding fahringer or lafterty back on the husa. Is the new KTM frame THAT much better in the handling department?

I can't compare for you, but the suspension on the 2012 is awesome! Granted I came from a woods-converted 450R.

This bike really lays down traction like I'm not used to. Again, amazing. I weigh 220-ish lbs geared up and it works perfect in gnarly single-track. Even on two rain/wet rides.

Are there 2011's still around where you live? Hell, it was hard to get a 2012 here!

This bike is the best riding decision I've ever made!

:smashpc:

I can't compare for you, but the suspension on the 2012 is awesome! Granted I came from a woods-converted 450R.

This bike really lays down traction like I'm not used to. Again, amazing. I weigh 220-ish lbs geared up and it works perfect in gnarly single-track. Even on two rain/wet rides.

Are there 2011's still around where you live? Hell, it was hard to get a 2012 here!

This bike is the best riding decision I've ever made!

:smashpc:

a 2011 will come up on craigslist every so often, but the husaberg TE has my interest peaked which is why I asked about the 2011 XCW frame.

depends on what model you are talking about. are you talking about the 08+ frame compared to the newest frame?

We have the 2011 250 xcw and a new 2012 300 xcw. There is a noticeable difference in handling. The best way to describe it is the 012 feels like there is a steering damper on it. (more stable). Just think about turning and it turns. Feels lighter. Feels a tad lower, although we haven't bothered to even set the sag. The seat is way softer on the 2012 also because of the seat base design allowing more foam vs 2011.Curiousity killed the cat so we investigated and it is all about the way the intake air is routed different and they flatened the seat base out on the 012. Could be why the bike feels lower than the 011.Just my 2 cents.

I rode a 2011 300XC which has the newer frame and I'm on a 2010 XCW, so same frame as the '11 XCW. IMO, I still liked the way my bike felt better than the newer frame, although I did like how slim the newer body feels, that is nice for sure...