Sign in to follow this  

'95 yz125 idles mint, but isn't rideable - 1st POST n00b!!

Hey all,

New to the 2 stroke scene. Had a 2007 drz400e but was stolen a few weeks ago, and I couldn't stay off two wheels for long soooo I picked up a cheeap '95 yz125 in good condition.

I'm loving bein a part of the blue team 👍, but I got a problem I need your guys help with. She starts fine with the choke on, and idles mint with it off once it warms up, but when I put her in 1st and try to take off it bogs like MADDD and will want to stall until I pull the clutch in and throw the choke on. Veryyyy weird. My 4stroke didn't have this issue >_< :smashpc:

I put a new plug in and thats about it.

Your quick help is appreciated! :busted:

Did you pull the plug back out and see what it looks like? Sounds like it may be super lean.

Clean the carb and take a note of the jetting. Good to have it written down. As a peace of mind issue it is worth to take a look into the exhaust port, by taking off the pipe easily done. A wasted piston can do great harm.

So the consensus is it's running super-lean. I'll give the carb a good cleaning and make sure the jet is totally unclogged. This should solve the problem?

Here's a pic!

1234.jpg

It will solve the problem if that is the problem.

My buddy picked up a CR that was just jetted lean by the previous owner. Maybe they were riding in the mountains? We don't know but it basically it was doing exactly what you are talking about except not as bad. It would run without the choke and we went on a little trail ride, when we got back, half of the header was turning blue...

One thing to keep in mind is that a two smoke is a lot less powerful at the bottom end when compared to a four stroke. Also, make sure that it is really warmed up. How does it run when you hit the high rpm's???

Alright guys, just pulled my carb off and cleaned it up. It was already surprisingly clean. Started right up, quicker than ever, but still has the same bog issue. I DID notice however, that there was only ONE washer on the nut the needle goes into. You guys call those washers "clips" right?? :smashpc: Should I add more clips to fix the problem?