Sign in to follow this  

how should I spend 2000$ to make race bike?

So, I have a 2011 kx250f that is stock. I am selling an 08 kx250f and using that money to mod the 2011. Here is my breakdown of what I am going to put in it.

-Suspension Revavle----------------------------------------600$

-Rekluse Core Exp or Exp(Reccomendations?)------------750$/400$

-Higher Fat Bars(Recommendations I'm 6'2')---------------80$

-Topar Top Clamp(for fat bar)-------------------------------90$

-Total--------------------------------------------------------1420$/1170$

Where should I spend the left over 600$/800$? (1000$ if its really worth it)

-I ride/race motocross and am looking for more over rev and for mainly third to carry a little longer, yet still beable to stay in third throughout a corner.. Would I be better off with engine mods?(if so what kind), exhuast?(S/O or F/S, what system and would I need to remap?), Gasket kit to remove backfire screen?, Drop a tooth in the back? (Will this bog me down to much in corners?) Other Suggestions?

-Suspension re-valve, YES YES YES!

-Rekluse, if you really want one, just get the EXP 2.0, the Core is mostly just new components if your stock ones are worn out from what I understand.

-At 6'2" I would invest in Pro Taper top clamps and move the bars more forward if you need more room.

-I would get new aftermarket throttle tube and grips ready for when the stockers wear out.

-And a spare set of tires.

-If you have much money left over, maybe invest in a new exhaust that will be legal (New 2 meter max tests), the Pro Circuit T-5 slip on and T-5 systems will be available soon, and they are apparently 2 meter max legal.

sell both bikes and buy a 2012 450. leave it stock and its faster and more reliable.

thanks everyone for your input.. I agree with you ryno and william, practice is the only thing that will really make me faster aside from a little added speed with a suspension set up for me. Still I would like a little more top on my third gear so I can hit a corner in third and carry third through a short striaght to the next corner instead of having to shift up to 4th for 2 seconds then back down to third for the follwing corner..

I may try the exhuast and remap that aj recomended, seems that route at least I won't have to pay a mechanic to work on my engine. Also, thinking about trying a Moto Tassinari Air4orce tunable intake system also..

thanks everyone for your input.. I agree with you ryno and william, practice is the only thing that will really make me faster aside from a little added speed with a suspension set up for me. Still I would like a little more top on my third gear so I can hit a corner in third and carry third through a short striaght to the next corner instead of having to shift up to 4th for 2 seconds then back down to third for the follwing corner..

I may try the exhuast and remap that aj recomended, seems that route at least I won't have to pay a mechanic to work on my engine. Also, thinking about trying a Moto Tassinari Air4orce tunable intake system also..

You cannot EFFECTIVELY ride a 250F in 3rd gear around the whole track, no matter what engine/gearing/intake configuration you have. If you want to keep your bike in 3rd through a corner, then you will have to sacrifice some top end. If you want to use 3rd without having to shift up to 4th, then you will sacrifice somewhere down low. 4 strokes made motocross riders lazy. If you really want to stay in one gear for the whole track, then buy a 450 and leave it stock. Save yourself some money.

Aside from things like bars to fit you better, my spending would be limited to suspension valving/springs, and tires.

There's probably not a person on this site that will be any faster with a modified engine then they will be with a stock engine. Very few people can use all the performance a modern MX bike has from the factory.

PJ - I never said I was trying to configure my bike to have the capabilities to stay in 3rd around the whole track, if you read the post above you will notice I said I just want a little more over rev/top end in third so I can stay in 3rd for a corner that is followed by a small section that leads back into another corner... I don't have a problem shifting up to 4th out of a corner when theres a reasonable length between the next corner... I am sure there is some configuration out there in which over rev increases without much reduction of low end power thus making it still possible to carry 3rd in a corner.

+buying a 450 is a more expensive route than the route of spending 600-800$ in mods like I originally said I was going to spend trying to increase my over rev

Chokey - I agree with you to an extent, but if you can pinpoint certain weaknesses in the engine and ride often in that range where the weakness occurs and you fix this weakness I believe you will be able to ride faster in those sections where the weakness was originally slowing you down.

Aside from things like bars to fit you better, my spending would be limited to suspension valving/springs, and tires.

There's probably not a person on this site that will be any faster with a modified engine then they will be with a stock engine. Very few people can use all the performance a modern MX bike has from the factory.

this may hold true for a 450, but your crazy to think that of a 250.

this may hold true for a 450, but your crazy to think that of a 250.
Bull. Most people can't even use a 125T to it's full potential. If you're actually fast enough that the engine performance of your bike is holding you back, you should be pitting out of a semi.

Ryno Hughes raced against a magazine editor one time with him on a DRZ125 and the editor on an RMZ450. And Ryno won.

If you aren't fast on a slow bike, all a faster bike will do is make you let off sooner at the end of the straights.

To mxtime: Didn't mean to come off demeaning at first. I made a few assumptions, one was based off the Rekluse clutch you want... Getting back on topic, there are few bolt-on mods that will maintain low end power while increasing power up top. Exhaust & intake, camshaft profiles, and EFI mapping are about the only that come to mind. I have an 09' so I can't speak from experience, but a different EFI map is probably the easiest and most effective way to achieve what you want. The 2011 is a great bike, most of us here would agree that it doesn't NEED a ton of mods to be competitive.

no worries pj.. I agree the 2011 is a rad bike, best bike I have owned

I just read the November edition of MXA that had a review of the new 2112 K250f. From the sound of it, you should check into seeing if their new dual nozzle fuel injection system can be installed on your '11. They reviewed the bike's engine as the hands down, best performing 250f motor they ever tested. They thought their Dyno was broken when it showed 39hp, which I guess was a full 2HP increase from last year.

yosh pipe and stage 2 cams. i never used a recluse clutch so cant coment. but what is wrong with a stock clutch? you will be able to hold he gear a little longer

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I may be going another route now. I have an 08 250f and 04 sx85 I am selling. I was thinking about also selling my 2011 and just starting fresh on a new 2012. The reviews I have read claim that the second fuel injector really boosts top end on the 2012. your ideas on this, Good/bad idea?

It looks like many ppl giving advice onthis bike don't actually own it or race it. i have one and consistently win multiple classes w/ mine. Suspension - while always the best bang for the buck ON other bikes is so easy to set properly on this bike. Save the suspension dollars. I run a Core Ep, but I race big hill climbs...pin it grab all brakes...lock it up...90 degree turn uphill, downhill, etc on hare scrambles. I'd never own a bike without a Rekluse, but if I raced only race Mx - I'd probably never use it....anyone can race Mx with a traditional clutch. It'll hit your pocket hard, and will DQ from some classes, but a Thumper Steel sleeve big bore will get you into big numbers like 290. i haven't done that yet, but there is noreplacement for displacement. I have a Ti FMF full system with megabomb - and it did make a huge difference - but it moves the power to such a place that you must have a fuel management unit ( i use the Bazzaz) to make any use of it.

It looks like many ppl giving advice onthis bike don't actually own it or race it. i have one and consistently win multiple classes w/ mine. Suspension - while always the best bang for the buck ON other bikes is so easy to set properly on this bike. Save the suspension dollars. I run a Core Ep, but I race big hill climbs...pin it grab all brakes...lock it up...90 degree turn uphill, downhill, etc on hare scrambles. I'd never own a bike without a Rekluse, but if I raced only race Mx - I'd probably never use it....anyone can race Mx with a traditional clutch. It'll hit your pocket hard, and will DQ from some classes, but a Thumper Steel sleeve big bore will get you into big numbers like 290. i haven't done that yet, but there is noreplacement for displacement. I have a Ti FMF full system with megabomb - and it did make a huge difference - but it moves the power to such a place that you must have a fuel management unit ( i use the Bazzaz) to make any use of it.

xplant, you run a 250f for scrambles? I just got rid of my rmz450 and got a kx250f bc I thought it would be easier for me to manage in the woods for these races. Which I just got it and my 1st scramble is this Sun, so well see. I've got the fmf 4.1 and mega bomb on it, but thats it. What gearing do you have? Its really hilly, rocky and washed out down here in Ga and in all the SETRA & SORCS races, so what all is a good set up for this bike? Its getting suspension and jetting tommrow.