Oil on the spark plug

Alright, first of sorry for all of the noob threads/questions I'm making, but you guys really do help out so thx :smashpc:

But anyways, for a start. I put 20x50 motor oil in my yz 125, and put nearly the whole quart in there... after doing some reading (which I should have done first) i found I should have put 10x30 650mm in my bike. So now it doesn't crank, and I believe its the spark plug. When I take the spark plug out the tip of it has oil on it. So I drained the oil and put the correct amount in.

Today I cleaned it off and what not, put it back in and it'll crank, then turn off after about 3 seconds, and a lot of smoke is coming from the muffler. I take the plug back out and it has oil all over it again, did the same thing, it cranked the shut off.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it? I also ordered a new spark plug and should be here in the morning.

Sounds like your jetting may be way too rich and your just fouling plugs. If tranny oil is getting into your cylinder you have some serious issues.

Sounds like your jetting may be way too rich and your just fouling plugs. If tranny oil is getting into your cylinder you have some serious issues.

What exactly do you mean by jetting to rich?

By jetting too rich he means the jets in the carb are too large and it is getting too much fuel. Hence running rich. You could also have a problem in the main seal, is the smoke white or blueish? If its blueish and your using two stroke oil it could be trany oil, if it was the main seal it would also be really hard to start.

By jetting too rich he means the jets in the carb are too large and it is getting too much fuel. Hence running rich. You could also have a problem in the main seal, is the smoke white or blueish? If its blueish and your using two stroke oil it could be trany oil, if it was the main seal it would also be really hard to start.

It's white smoke.

Its probably the jetting, either way that's what I would check first. It might even be the adjustment screws on the side of the carb. Turn the mixture screw all the way in and the 1.5 turns out. After you have tired that and it is still smoking check the jetting to see if it is stock.

Its probably the jetting, either way that's what I would check first. It might even be the adjustment screws on the side of the carb. Turn the mixture screw all the way in and the 1.5 turns out. After you have tired that and it is still smoking check the jetting to see if it is stock.

Is there a video you can link me too or some pictures? I don't wanna screw anything unless I know for sure what I'm screwing. Lol

You might have blown the crank shaft seal and now gear oil is getting into the cylinder. I had this happen to me once on my old 2 stroke when it got overfilled.

For a picture, I'm not going to find you one of bike for you, but you can find one on bike bandit in the schematics for carb parts.

Alright, first of sorry for all of the noob threads/questions I'm making, but you guys really do help out so thx :smashpc:

But anyways, for a start. I put 20x50 motor oil in my yz 125, and put nearly the whole quart in there... after doing some reading (which I should have done first) i found I should have put 10x30 650mm in my bike. So now it doesn't crank, and I believe its the spark plug. When I take the spark plug out the tip of it has oil on it. So I drained the oil and put the correct amount in.

Today I cleaned it off and what not, put it back in and it'll crank, then turn off after about 3 seconds, and a lot of smoke is coming from the muffler. I take the plug back out and it has oil all over it again, did the same thing, it cranked the shut off.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it? I also ordered a new spark plug and should be here in the morning.

Your trany oil has absolutly nothing, zero, to do with your crankcase let alone your sparkplug. If your trany oil is ending up in your engine, then you have other issues like a leaking crank main seal or possibly, but probably uncommon, a leak in the cases between the trany and the crank case. The second is almost impossible, I think. You oil on the plug is likely caused by something else. By the way, engine oil is not the same as motorcycle engine oil. You need motorcycle engine oil to have your clutch work properly.

Well it's fixed guys, all I did was buy a new spark plug. I'm also going to take it to a shop to get looked at.

10w-30 in your tranny (yamaha changed to 10w-40), and 2 stroke engine oil mixed with your gas. I don't think you want to mix the two up.

When you mix up the gas,be sure to put the oil in a can first then pump in the fuel. It makes it easier to get it mixed up. Never pour the oil in a full tank of gas on the bike,it drops right to the bottom and into the carb (nearly)no matter how much you shake the bike.

Have seen this happen a couple times,pull the drain on the carb and pure oil comes out. Good for a few laughs!

When you mix up the gas,be sure to put the oil in a can first then pump in the fuel. It makes it easier to get it mixed up. Never pour the oil in a full tank of gas on the bike,it drops right to the bottom and into the carb (nearly)no matter how much you shake the bike.

Have seen this happen a couple times,pull the drain on the carb and pure oil comes out. Good for a few laughs!

I did, i used 32:1 and mixed it before I put it into my bike lol.I think my bike just fouled another plug :\

My yz85 is doing the same thing and I have taken out the spark plugs and wires brushed all the oil off and put it back in and kicked it over and it lasts only about 2 seconds and I have done that about 5 time and it is sooooo frustrating what do I do

15 hours ago, Jack Saint said:

My yz85 is doing the same thing and I have taken out the spark plugs and wires brushed all the oil off and put it back in and kicked it over and it lasts only about 2 seconds and I have done that about 5 time and it is sooooo frustrating what do I do

Toss a new plug in it. Stop trying to fix an old plug that has fouled out.