Sign in to follow this  

Lets talk 350 clamps

Going off of the coments on the other posts....

I have been seriously contemplating going to Ride Engineering 20.5mm offset clamps on the 350.

I may try the Ride Honda damper setup first though. I spoke to the president of Ride on Friday and he really made a lot of spot on points regarding the bikes handling. I think we need to really break down the handling of the bike.

Right now I am at 38mm static and 105mm race sag with the clamps at the first line (2.5mm up) I have the Mx-tech works too.

The bike handles great and is very stable with the forks at the first mark in the sand as well as loam with some blue groove lines. Definately better than at the second mark (5mm).

The bike turns great and is very flickable. With a MX51 the front end was very sketchy- like I was not confident at speed for fear of a wash (at all different fork tube heights). Switched to a Pirelli MT32 and it is night and day a more confidence inspiring front tire. I can really lean over without fear.

Problem: Bike still feels jittery from center out. Definately think a stabilizer would calm it down and I can certainly imagine different clamps would help. Why did they switch to 22mm offsets?

Discuss:ride:

Adrian at RE has done a lot of testing of his own on this bike and with Ryno...You can view the videos of them testing the setups.

I've not ridden with the stabilizer, but those guys say it really helps. I just thought the entire setup was pricey. I'd suggest getting the clamps first before doing anything.

What I can suggest at a minimum is lower the offsets - 20 or 20.5mm. This brings the front closer to the engine, or the engine closer to the front wheel depending how you view this relationship.

I felt the front was too light and twitchy with stock 22mm clamps. I've come to test the 20mm clamps for many months now and they are marvelous. Your front will bite better and doesn't act twitchy. Basically, you have more weight on the front and it can carve any line, with no loss in stability whatsoever. I was floored at how much better the traction was in front and you don't need to sit up on the tank to get it to bite. I can now maintain a more neutral seating position and do not have to scoot around the bike as much.

This setup not only works, but the results are immediate.

Edited by rickk

I saw those Xtrig's on Andrew shorts bike in the mxa article. Very trick looking. Who carries them/cost? It said Short was running the 22mm....

The KTM teams runs the 20's in SX. Personally, I run them in MX and love em. The are $700 new, possibly more. The clamping is superior to stock clamps, BTW and they are engineered specifically to KTM specs.

I may know of a lightly used set for sale in excellent condition.

Makes sense. By increasining trail and putting more weight on the front you gain stability. Nice to know that it rally works on the 350.

I am def interested in some orange 20s if anyone has them!

try ebay, just picked up a set of orange Kite brand 20mm offset clamps for my 350 for $199 from dubya industries on ebay. Kite is a quality italian brand that alot of euros use by the way

On the RE site? If so, call Adrian tomorrow. He's always got a set around that I'm sure he can help you with.

weird i was just going to make the same forum and report on my new tests I just brought ride engineering 20.5mm clamps with the showa damper I went with the new style 24mm damper not 20 also got the lowering link for the linkage this is on my 12 250sxf only thing I changed on the suspension is went to a stiffer 0.46kg fork springs forks seemed a little softer with the changed offset witch was going to happen since it puts more weight on the front end, with the .44 springs at first the front end seemed a little twitchy at speeds but absolutley perfect in the corners but after I got stiffer fork springs and played with the rear end sag running 101mm race sag witch is around 107-108 without the lowering link this bike stays on top of whoops and rollers handles high speed stuff and turns the best out of any of the bikes I have ridden I havent touched the valving in the showa damper nor have I played with the clickers set at 5 clicks out and the steering stem nut is 15NM not 10NM and I cant say ANYTHING bad about the bike, whether it be front to rear balance witch was something I wanted to sort out really bad and the way the bike turns and stays in one line without leting the bike do what it wanted now I can actually man handle the bike wherever I want :smashpc:

Are you guys all having the US-versions with the 4mm shorter damper?

Since i am in Switzerland i'm having a Euro-spec 350 which comes with a 4mm longer shock and standard sag at 90mm. So a much higher rear than what you guys have. I assume that such a setup makes for a much steeper fork angle which is what makes for sharp steering. Nevertheless i lowered the forks in the standard triple clamps even 3mm below the second mark and it cuts sharp insides like a knife. I can't imagine such 20mm offset clamps would do any good on euro-spec 350s or am i wrong?

• Like 1

try ebay, just picked up a set of orange Kite brand 20mm offset clamps for my 350 for $199 from dubya industries on ebay. Kite is a quality italian brand that alot of euros use by the way

they look nice. Can you use the stock bar mounts with these? any issues?

they look nice. Can you use the stock bar mounts with these? any issues?

How are you finding them?

just checked ebay and they are no longer on there. maybe they sold out? the auction did state that it was a limited inventory....I think MSRP was $599

I have the KTM SXS clamps on my 350, they are adjustable, 19-22, after my race yesterday, and this thread I'm trying the 19 setting, and I am running the RE honda HSPD damper, hoping it would calm down the 22's, it did some but not quite enough, I'll try the 19's this week for sure,