Sign in to follow this  

Handle bar height

For a person that is 6'3, is it better to raise handlebars or leave?

As I have a buddy that put a 2" riser on his bars, and he is standing a lot...which I like the idea of standing often, and have rode his back thus bars don't seem to high either when sitting.

But...I like doing a little technical riding; not expert technical riding by any means...thus wondering when technical riding is it better to have higher or

lower bars?

I would say 75-80% of my riding is non-technical, but not by choice.

This make sense?

Depends on the bike,what do you ride?

The peg,seat,bar distance is different on almost all bikes.

I like to run a bar that i can stand up balanced on the pegs then lean forward very slightly to reach the bars. My three (modern) dirt bikes run different bars.

Raising the bars makes standing more comfortable but will without doubt hurt you to some degree when it comes to control in those hairy corners. I believe it was Shane Watts who recommends to his students to trash them straight away.

Casual riders will most likely gain from comfort from having them and lose very little. It's the serious guys that need to just say know. Again this is not from my wisdom but that of respected pros.

I am 6'1" and am a stand up rider, mostly sticking to the technical trails. On my '02 XR 400 I have riser bars (1" Spacer and 1" Riser bars) and I wouldn't ride it any other way. I have ridden XR's with the stock bars and the front end "feels" heavier and it's harder to pitch and roll the bike while standing because I was hunched over too much. Not too mention it wears you out standing on a bike with bars too low....

For my height, and always standing the taller bars are much more comfortable. On that specific bike... on my husqvarna the stock bars are right where I like them.

Edited by motomike111
can't spell

I ride a lot of single track, and I just recently put a 1/2 inch riser block and cr hi rise bars on my bike (05 crf250) and I think if your a taller rider you can benefit from it but it takes some adjusting in technique. Also it seems a lot easier to do technical riding with higher bars and I feel I can control my bike better in the air when I'm on a mx track. I'm 6'2 by the way

You can also consider lowering the pegs, that's always the first thing I consider.

Many people make the mistake of raising their bars too much, 10mm doesn't sound like a lot but it will make a significant difference.

I just so happened to ride a bike this weekend that had what looked like 1" risers. I'm a tall guy at nearly 6'-3" and I know getting use to the feel would for sure help, but honestly I could feel exactly what Wattsy was talking about. I felt like I had less control and the position of my arms was unnatural. Standing up did feel good though. Think I'll stick to a little less comfort and keep the control.

Still the old saying holds true as always. To each his own and whatever works best FOR YOU. This is a good rule of thumb just so long as your open minded enough to try advise given by other people wiser then you on a given subject.

IMHO, it really comes down to what feels right for you. It's easy for a guy like Watts to say they're not good, but until he's 6'2", how will he ever know for sure? Until you try out different combinations of bars, pegs, and even seat heights, how will you know for yourself? IMHO, a set of bars, some risers, and some low boy pegs are relatively cheap mods that are worth playing around with. I'm 6'2" and go back and forth a bit. I'm in the process of building up a tall seat for my new bike and going to slap some 30mm bar risers on it when the seat is ready. When I'm sitting, the bar to seat difference will be the same, but it will make an easier transition from sitting to standing and will be a little more comfortable when standing. I've done the same with my old bike too. Actually have gone back and forth on the old bike a few times. With the risers and stock seat height, it does feel a little weird.

IMHO, it really comes down to what feels right for you. It's easy for a guy like Watts to say they're not good, but until he's 6'2", how will he ever know for sure? Until you try out different combinations of bars, pegs, and even seat heights, how will you know for yourself? IMHO, a set of bars, some risers, and some low boy pegs are relatively cheap mods that are worth playing around with. I'm 6'2" and go back and forth a bit. I'm in the process of building up a tall seat for my new bike and going to slap some 30mm bar risers on it when the seat is ready. When I'm sitting, the bar to seat difference will be the same, but it will make an easier transition from sitting to standing and will be a little more comfortable when standing. I've done the same with my old bike too. Actually have gone back and forth on the old bike a few times. With the risers and stock seat height, it does feel a little weird.

Yeah but if wattsy is shorter he has shorter arms, if your taller you should have longer arms... all in proportion. So unless you have legs from a 6'2" person and arms from a 5'8" person, why would you raise the bars?

Yeah but if wattsy is shorter he has shorter arms, if your taller you should have longer arms... all in proportion. So unless you have legs from a 6'2" person and arms from a 5'8" person, why would you raise the bars?

If you're 5'8" and have a 30" inseam and you hands are at your hips and I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and my hands are at my hips, are our hands the same height from the ground? No, my hands are 4" higher even though my arms are 2" longer than yours. Also, the bars are down and in front, not straight out in front at shoulder height. So even though I'd have a greater reach, the point I'm reaching from is also a lot further away from the point I'm reaching to. Besides, not every person is built with the same proportions with regards to inseam, torso, arm length, etc... even if they're the same height. Case in point, my college roommate/teammate on the track team and I were the same height, yet my inseam was a full 2" longer than his since he had a long torso. Heck, my shoulders were a good 1/2" higher than his, but he had a longer neck too. He was stronger in the chest, I was stronger in the legs. I was really good with the discus, mediocre with the shotput. He was really good with the shotput, mediocre with the discus. In the media guide, we were both listed at 6'2" 220#. That's why I said it's personal and you should experiment. There's not an easy answer. Saying 1 bend of handlebars is right for everyone is about as smart as saying 1 size of boot is right for everyone regardless of shoe size.

If you're 5'8" and have a 30" inseam and you hands are at your hips and I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and my hands are at my hips, are our hands the same height from the ground? No, my hands are 4" higher even though my arms are 2" longer than yours. Also, the bars are down and in front, not straight out in front at shoulder height. So even though I'd have a greater reach, the point I'm reaching from is also a lot further away from the point I'm reaching to. Besides, not every person is built with the same proportions with regards to inseam, torso, arm length, etc... even if they're the same height. Case in point, my college roommate/teammate on the track team and I were the same height, yet my inseam was a full 2" longer than his since he had a long torso. Heck, my shoulders were a good 1/2" higher than his, but he had a longer neck too. He was stronger in the chest, I was stronger in the legs. I was really good with the discus, mediocre with the shotput. He was really good with the shotput, mediocre with the discus. In the media guide, we were both listed at 6'2" 220#. That's why I said it's personal and you should experiment. There's not an easy answer. Saying 1 bend of handlebars is right for everyone is about as smart as saying 1 size of boot is right for everyone regardless of shoe size.

Yep i agree, what im getting at is some people make the mistake of thinking because they are taller than average joe they immmediately need to, and raise their bars, often to ridiculous heights.... just because "others" do it. It has a big effect on the bikes/riders ability to corner and something alot dont consider.

Yep i agree, what im getting at is some people make the mistake of thinking because they are taller than average joe they immmediately need to, and raise their bars, often to ridiculous heights.... just because "others" do it. It has a big effect on the bikes/riders ability to corner and something alot dont consider.

Fair enough, but that's not what you said originally.

Look at fighters and boxers. They have weight classes so they are of comparible size and height but, they always measure their "reach" and their arms are always different lengths. Everybody is different unless your inbred then your all the same.

Fair enough, but that's not what you said originally.

Consider it added to my original post. Have a look at what the pro's/experts etc run at the next offroad race. They concentrate on learning correct technique rather than resorting to ridiculous heights in bars and risers. Knighter for example, 6'4", runs lower than standard exc clamps with his preference in bars, being an ex trials rider, you would think he would be more of a chance to go the other way. He knows what it takes to go fast, and standing up straight while riding looking like a meerkat isnt 👍

Consider it added to my original post. Have a look at what the pro's/experts etc run at the next offroad race. They concentrate on learning correct technique rather than resorting to ridiculous heights in bars and risers. Knighter for example, 6'4", runs lower than standard exc clamps with his preference in bars, being an ex trials rider, you would think he would be more of a chance to go the other way. He knows what it takes to go fast, and standing up straight while riding looking like a meerkat isnt 👍

And how many recreational riders have the conditioning/endurance to ride in the attack position like DK does for a full race? Using a pro rider as a baseline and tweaking and adjusting from there is 1 thing, but to say what works for them is what works for the rest isn't a great idea. His suspension settings or engine tuning wouldn't be the right approach for 99% of the recreational riders out there. Would you tell them to try to match those settings? And there are Pro riders who use bars that are quite a bit higher than standard. Look at the rally riders, they ride in the standing position for long periods of time an set their cockpit accordingly.

MarcComa-Preview.jpg

I raised/moved forward the bars on my xr400 and I'm only 5'8". It feels to me I have better control both standing and sitting over the stock location. I'm also a lot more comfortable and a lot less sore on long rides. I actually think the biggest improvement was getting them more forward from the stock location for me anyway. IMO, set your bike up to fit you. If your comfortable and confident with the feel of your bike, you will ride better.

I went with 10mm rise on my crf 450r and i am 6'1" and a stand up rider. I feel it makes riding so much easier and you are not hunched over allowing looking forward so much easier. i some times think 10mm is too much which i would of went 7mm.

I read here on the forums a long time ago how to do a basic positioning of the handlebars. The advise was to stand on the pegs in your neutral riding position and swing your arms. Your fingertips should just hit on the grips, with only the last 1/2 inch or so actually hitting. It is just a general rule of thumb so you will have to make adjustments from there.