Sign in to follow this  

Wheelie... now time to fix it

I had a buddy come up from Florida the other day. He's been interested in riding my bike as he has ridden some of his army buddies in Florida. Well he hopped on and mashed the throttle and ended up on his rear end. My bike came back and tore the rear fender from the mounting bolts, ground the rear tail light into the ground, snapped the clutch lever and the mount for it, and it looks like he bent the mount for the exhaust and probably the exhaust.

So now that I need to repair it I was wondering if anyone know which company makes a rear fender that matches the yellow of the stock bike. UFO has a cheap one on Bike Bandit here. Also I need to know where I can get the mount for the clutch lever, prefer aftermarket as it is cheaper. Hope someone has got some opinions.

Also if you know of anything else I ought to look for that might be damaged let me know. It didn't go through the case when it fell but scared the shit out of me thinking it did. Thanks for the help guys. Had no idea that the bike could wheelie like though, haha.

give the subframe a real close look, could easily get tweaked and then nothing will want to go back together just right. bars too if they are the stockers.

He said he would. I'm worried that the sub frame is bent to hell but I'm gonna find out soon I suppose, got exams coming up that I gotta study for. Then it is coming back apart and getting fixed. Not too worried about the handlebars, I'd like some new ones anyway.

Anyway to fix the subframe? Man I hope that isn't torqued up.

He said he would. I'm worried that the sub frame is bent to hell but I'm gonna find out soon I suppose, got exams coming up that I gotta study for. Then it is coming back apart and getting fixed. Not too worried about the handlebars, I'd like some new ones anyway.

Anyway to fix the subframe? Man I hope that isn't torqued up.

Id bet the sub frame is bent, the exhaust is bent, the bars are bent.. All of that happens in a dump like you described with the aftermath you described.

the sub frame can be tweaked somewhat back in place but it will never be straight. Used ones, unless they come off a bike that's never been dumped, will be tweaked as well.

Check the case side covers, if the shifter hit the ground, the side case likely has a dent or worse.

My buddy totaled my first DRZ the first day I owned it. Not a fun call to the insurance company!

Good luck on getting yours fixed....check the TT classifieds for some good deals!

Hey jostith, if it turns out that your sub-frame is bent (and I bet it is) shoot me a PM.

I've got a couple of good spares in the garage. I'll hook you up for the price of shipping, it shouldn't be too much +/- $20 I'd guess. :smashpc:

👍

Well been dreading pulling the parts off so here is the extent of the damage at the rear so far. The rear fender holes are completely torn away and can't be fixed as well as the tip being cracked good. The exhaust can looks bent, the end is pushed in with the allen bolt on top being bent to where it is going to be tough to pull out, also the mount on the subframe for the exhaust is bent real good and I can't bend it back. The bolt even bent that holds the exhaust on, not a lot but enough to make the nut hard to remove. The rear sub frame mount for the exhaust is bent enough that I am quite sure that the rest is tweaked pretty good. Haven't had the heart to cut my pretty wiring just yet to find out how tough it will be to pull off and put back on, might just deal with it because the exhaust is bent too so it lines up.

Very depressing. I literally finished everything that needed to be done to it before winter and was ready to ride it around town and play the riding game. Been looking so forward to that.

Would I be better off taking Aspen up on the subframe and bending the exhaust with a 2x4 or something?