Sign in to follow this  

I still don't get the KTM 'secret code' for models.

SXF = full mx, linkage

XC-F = de-tuned full mx, semi-wide trans, 18" etc (but no 450/500 this

year)

XCFW= different non-linkage bike, very stripped down version of the

EXC, semi-wide trans

EXC = street legal, full epa, based on XCF-W, full wide trans

EXC-F = 2011 model

XCW = 2011 model

So, if I wanted the biggest bore, YET lightest weight, wide or semi-wide ratio tranny, that sounds like the XC-F 350 is the only choice. If I wanted the same thing, only a bit more docile, less high strung motor, PDS, it would be the XCF-W.

Am I close ???? :smashpc::banghead:👍

Edited by Krannie

No expert here but I think if you just ignore or drop the "F" things become clearer when considering only KTM 4 strokes.

SX

XC

XC-W

EXC

For 2012, I think KTM has cut back on the models offered by getting rid of the XC 4st line leaving the XC-W and no 450XC, 450XC-W or 450EXC.

Doesn't the 500 EXC and the 500 XC-W share the wide ratio box?

You are using 3 criteria which sometimes are conflicting. If lightest > displacement > WR trans are the order of importance, yes the 350 XC-W.

But if you change the order of importance and put displacement or WR trans 1st the answer would be the 500XC-W.

Bruce

I thought the xc-w and exc shared same transmission gearing

and I definitely would not call them "detuned" they are full race trim/tune, but for different conditions, mx vs enduro/offroad

sx is motocross

xc was close/semi close ratio, stiffer suspension

xc-w is enduro/wide ratio

exc/xcw-r is street legal xc-w, first 2 years were called xcw-r, now called exc

I own a 200xc and a 450 xcw-r

I thought the xc-w and exc shared same transmission gearing

EXC is European and XCW is US - And are the same thing. In 2007 (in the US) the EXC changed to the XCW (cross country wide), vs "enduro cross country", which meant the tranny was wide ratio...

Now - HOW can that be confusing?!?:smashpc:

Don't think anybody said otherwise. :smashpc:👍

Bruce

It was implied that a XCF-W was just a wide ratio XC, which is not true, cause they are different motors, frames and suspension.

I understand the XC means cross country, and W means wide ratio, but if two different bikes are both XC's then confusion is easy, to me.

I'm just trying to figure out what the BIKES are, not what the initials mean, cause they do not apply equally to each model.

XC-F and XCF-W are not similar bikes, "but one is wide ratio".

They are completely different bikes.

So, all of my original questions still stand about what the differences are between models, and if my understanding of it is correct, or incorrect.

It was implied that a XCF-W was just a wide ratio XC, which is not true, cause they are different motors, frames and suspension.

I understand the XC means cross country, and W means wide ratio, but if two different bikes are both XC's then confusion is easy, to me.

I'm just trying to figure out what the BIKES are, not what the initials mean, cause they do not apply equally to each model.

XC-F and XCF-W are not similar bikes, "but one is wide ratio".

They are completely different bikes.

So, all of my original questions still stand about what the differences are between models, and if my understanding of it is correct, or incorrect.

To understand KTM designations you also need to know what engine each model has.

assuming we keep to 2007/2008+ only

all 250 4t share versions of the same RC4 engine

The 450/505 SXF/XCF share the same RF4 engine (with the 07-09 sxf's being 4 speeds) and the 10+ 5 speed

The 400/450/530 XCW/EXC all share the XC4 engine. all are wide ratio with the same internal ratios

The XCF-W and the XC-F aren't even the same motor frame or suspension.....:smashpc:

on a 250 they were the same motor and frame

Since 2007 all -W/exc models get OC forks, all sx/f xc/f get CC forks.

The move to linkage complicated the issue somewhat on the rear.

To understand KTM designations you also need to know what engine each model has.

assuming we keep to 2007/2008+ only

all 250 4t share versions of the same RC4 engine

The 450/505 SXF/XCF share the same RF4 engine (with the 07-09 sxf's being 4 speeds) and the 10+ 5 speed

The 400/450/530 XCW/EXC all share the XC4 engine. all are wide ratio with the same internal ratios

Thank you jar944

So, the XC4 is the new single sump motor, that has been getting good reviews, and the RF4 is the near- new high-er performance engine, that is only in linkage-type frames.

Why do you think the no longer make the 450/500 XC-F? That is what I would want out of a dirtbike.

Perhaps they don't want to dilute sales from line to line....

Thank you jar944

So, the XC4 is the new single sump motor, that has been getting good reviews, and the RF4 is the near- new high-er performance engine, that is only in linkage-type frames.

Why do you think the no longer make the 450/500 XC-F? That is what I would want out of a dirtbike.

Perhaps they don't want to dilute sales from line to line....

The new revised 2012 500 motor is a revision (albeit large) of the XC4, I actually dont know if they will continue to call it the XC4 or other designation.

The RF4 is in both the linkage 11-12 450sxf and PDS 07-10 450/505 xcf/sxf.

One of the reasons for the deletion of the 450xcf was the redundancy created when the sxf got the 5spd.

SXF = full mx, linkage

XC-F = de-tuned full mx, semi-wide trans, 18" etc (but no 450/500 this

year)

XCFW= different non-linkage bike, very stripped down version of the

EXC, semi-wide trans

EXC = street legal, full epa, based on XCF-W, full wide trans

EXC-F = 2011 model

XCW = 2011 model

SX is motocross.

EXC is Enduro/Cross country

XC is Cross Country

MXC is Motocross/Cross Country