Sign in to follow this  

Finally caught the water pump blues.....

Well, I've finally got the dreaded water pump seep and a pretty good one at that!

Should I just replace the pump entirely?

If I do, should I do the RTV "fix" to the new pump prior to install?

Or just order some parts and rebuild the existing pump with the RTV "fix"?

If I'm just doing the rebuild, what parts do I need......I'm looking at part diagrams, but I'm not 100% clear.

thanks

waterpump.png

Do I just need the following....3,4,7,9,and 14?

Or should I just get the whole pump.....after all, it is a Y2K model!

:smashpc:

I've had that leak on and off since it was new. It seems that the more I use the bike, the less it leaks. If I use it at least once a week, it doesn't leak. If it sits for a while, I will get a few drops initially, when I first start it. I have tried the RTV fix twice, both failed within 300-400 miles. I then changed all the pump components, that failed in about 600 miles. I basically gave up on it at this point. I never had to add coolant because the leak is so minor, so I'm just ignoring it. Like I said though, if I use the bike often, it doesn't leak at all! If yours leaks really bad, I would just replace the pump parts and call it a day. I know others have had better luck with the RTV fix, but I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't the pump at all, but actually the engine casting that holds the pump shaft. I got beaten down by it, and I'm living with the issue for now.

Its usually the mechanical seal. Cost around $30.00....I changed two already. One on a ltz 400 and the other on a drz 400. Whenever you put the mechanical seal back in your suppose to press it in. I put a light coat of rv gasket sealant around the new mechanical seal and used a big "C" clamp to press in seal ..let dry for 24hrs. No more leak

Edited by PGH_STEEL
mispelled word

My advise is repair or replace - don't rebuild. Replace as an assembly or do the RTV fix using what you have. The RTV fix requires no parts other than a primary cover gasket

Without special tools to press a new seal into the casting, seal replacement is chancy. If you replace the assembly, no on the RTV fix for the new part.

Thanks Noble, that's what I was after!

I think I'll treat the old girl to a brand new pump! She's earned it!! :smashpc:

Use a little RTV behind the seal, I did mine with a 100 miles on it (while doing the loctite fixes) it showed soolant behind the seal #4. They're not a very tight fit.

My advise is repair or replace - don't rebuild

+1

When I got the drip I thought I would rebuild and kill two birds with one stone. As soon as I got the pump in my hands I realized that wasnt going to happen so I did the RTV fix and then ordered up a new pump. I have decided to "wait and see" on the RTV fix before I installed the new pump.

That was almost two years ago, RTV still holding fine and the new pump is still in box on the shelf gathering dust.

The RTV fix seems to stand up well :smashpc:

My DRZ400 is a 2000. RTV fix done about 2002 and again 2009. Still on the original pump. But I stand by my advise. RTV repair or replace not rebuild. Rebuild with new parts is not worth the effort vs the cost. The first RTV fix was done with ultra black. The second repair was done with ultra gray. I really did not intend to do the RTV a second time but after I got it apart for a look see I figured why not, not much to loose and the original repair lasted 7 years. Other than the ceramic being loose in the impeller, everything looked perfect. So, more RTV and the pump lives on. The risk of failure is small because even when it drips, the coolant loss is generally slow and can be monitored.

For most folks i recommend pump assy replacement if the RTV trick does not work, I see or read about more people messing up an attempted rebuild then I do successful jobs.

It's the same with other bikes I work on, own or monitor web boards for.

Rebuilding the pump is a pain to do wright, and easy to do wrong.

Toss a new pump on it, be done in a very short time, and back to riding with confidence.