Sign in to follow this  

00 cr250 showa fork leak

00 cr250, rebuilt forks few months back cause the ride side had a leaking seal. everything went back together smooth.

soon after the rebuild I saw that the right side has the tiniest film of oil left behind on the inner leg after a few rides. cleaned it off and forgot about it as you can't even see the film, only feel it with your fingers. I only noticed it because I saw some dust sticking in that area in a tiny ring around the lower leg.

checked again today and its still doing it. I replaced the seals, both bushings, and the sliders so its all new. I did notice that the right inner tube has a blackish coloring to it in almost a washboard pattern. i assume this is a sign of the plating being worn down too far? or is it possible there was a seal I missed (something on the inner chamber with that little spring) and now its dumping the inner. chamber oil into the outer chamber and causing a pressure increase?

probably you got some dirt inside the seal and the oil collects inside the dust seal coating the tube all around. Lower the dust seal and try to clean under the oil seal with some 35 mm film or get a seal saver. I bought a bunch of seal kits for all my bikes and then fixed some leaks with the seal saver. Now the seal kits are collecting dust on the shelf. More than likelike most bikes will eventually get dirt under the oil seal and leak. They do not always need to be replaced but instead, cleaned.

probably you got some dirt inside the seal and the oil collects inside the dust seal coating the tube all around. Lower the dust seal and try to clean under the oil seal with some 35 mm film or get a seal saver. I bought a bunch of seal kits for all my bikes and then fixed some leaks with the seal saver. Now the seal kits are collecting dust on the shelf. More than likelike most bikes will eventually get dirt under the oil seal and leak. They do not always need to be replaced but instead, cleaned.

could be the case, I do find it odd though that it is the same leg two times and that leg also shows in my inexperienced view, what I would call wear. is that even possible on these coated forks?