Sign in to follow this  

Do NOT buy a KTM 350SX-F

This is a warning to anyone who is considering purchasing one. Not only do they cause lots of problems, but Ktm is doing NOTHING to fix the issues that SOOO many people are having. I purchased mine 6 months ago and have only been able to ride it for 3 of them because it's either been in the shop or I've had to push it back or have it towed to the truck. I'm beyond upset and disgusted with KTM. Like many others I'm having the issue where either the bike shuts off on it's own (which any dealer will tell you is the TPS) but had that fixed twice now (I never adjusted of played with it so how it got off is beyond me) and then the bike refuses to start but just kicks over (which I was told is caused by a fuel pump which collects and air bubble of gas fumes and creates a vapor lock inside the fuel pump...mechanics words not mine) I'm afraid to ride it far from my truck and am EMBARASSED to ride it at the local track because I've had to have it towed three times back to my truck (twice in one day) I keep pumping away 400 bucks at a time to the dealer and KTM REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT HELPING. This is unacceptable and wonder if this would fall under a lemon law of some kind because there are so many other issues. All my riding buddies laughed at me and called my bike junk because its a KTM before I bought it but I said no I've always had a good experience with them and they know how to build bikes. I even made those guys look stupid on the track by passing them on a regular basis. (they're A riders I'm a B rider) however in the end they got the to laugh when I'm on the side of the track and getting a tow back to my truck. I've given up on KTM and will NEVER endorse their brand again. I can't wait to get my bike working right so I can sell it and get a bike I can ride confidently. I'm so furious that I'm thinking of writing a note to KTM NA and seeing if I can collect other experiences from those on this website and see if theres anything that can be done because this is sickening that a BRAND NEW bike is performing as poorly as it is and it's so widely spread across the country yet nothing is being done.

i guess i got lucky cause i love my bike and ive never had a single problem with mine....well, other than problems i caused..lol

Had no engines issues till about 55 hrs. When you go up a jump and the engine goes limp, it's not a very pleasant experience I have admit. Then not really knowing what the problem is only pisses you off more when you've spent so much on 8K bike.

No problems prior, but when it happens, you'll never really ride the bike the same again.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I have to agree with you. I also purchased a new KTM 350 with only 12 hrs on it I sold mine I was so glad to see that pumkin go down the road. Tired of getting to the track and pushing it back to the pits disapointed frustrated and pissed off. I work to many hours to get to the track and not be able to ride. That p.o.s. broke down more in 12 hrs than all my other bikes combined. Two friends bought them and sold them also because of the same thing. So many problem stories in here about the 350. Lovin my new bike thought I was deciding between the 2 bikes and wish I would have opt to not buy the KTM but it all worked out in the end

nor- it's an 11...infamy- I'm so jealous to hear that it's making my face hurt. When the bike runs it really is perfect. I love the power/weight and being 5'11, 185 the bike can haul my butt around no problem. rickk- I completely agree with you and fortunetly I had it cut off shortly AFTER clearing "the intimidator" at Blue diamond. (Google Barcia at BD and It's the jump Barcia gets backward on like 15 times in the video) But I agree and I'm glad to see it lasted that long before you encountered problems. But whats so frustrating is that the bike shuts off and won't start for a while but then when it cools a little it will start up no problem and ride like a champ so I look like an ass cause they bike runs fine, yet I know theres a problem. Racertodd- I'm jumping on the ship with you and your friends. Those new kawi 450's look pretty amazing, and I've heard great things about the honda as well. I'm afraid I'll be just like one of my friends who are KTM bashers but hell at least I have some first hand experience as the poor quality and service they (don't) provide.

Hey dilbert that seems like a common problem with the fuel pump. After reading a few threads people have been buying after market pumps and they have not had a problem since then. I am still on the fence with getting one but after reading some horror stories I am starting to lean towards the ox 450. Its really unfortunate that the bugs have not been worked out.

Are those problems related to some external factors like temperature or high altitude? It's a bit strange that only ktm is having problems when all of the manufacturers use pretty much the same keihin systems? Maybe ktm's are just used more and by more demanding riders so the faults come up easier?

And for op: buy a street leegal ktm and see what your friends faces look like when you wheelie past them on the way to the track:lol:

Just finished a brutal 90 mile desert race on my 11 350sx love the bike just about a year on mine not a single issue

I've had my 350 since Dec. and love it. Runs perfect. You guys that are having problems with your bikes cutting out and stalling and not wanting to start probably have faulty spark plug caps. Its not clogged fuel injectors or a faulty TPS. Try replacing the spark plug cap and the problem will more than likely be solved.....

I've had my 350 since Dec. and love it. Runs perfect. You guys that are having problems with your bikes cutting out and stalling and not wanting to start probably have faulty spark plug caps. Its not clogged fuel injectors or a faulty TPS. Try replacing the spark plug cap and the problem will more than likely be solved.....

How do you know this Mr.Thinman? My bike has not have a problem but this forum has me thinking that when I huck myself off the big one the bike will decide to cut out.....a devious plan from the Austrians...hell I love Austria- never been there but I hear its beautiful in the summer:busted:

i broke my spark plug cap trying to pull it off to adjust the valves. i didnt have enough time to get another one before the next race so i soldered the screw back onto the top of the plug, jb'ed it, siliconed it, shrink wraped it and threw it back on. i raced the majority of the season including the unadilla gncc without a problem. two weekends ago it started stalling in the middle of a race. id start it back up and it would immediately stall again. id repeat this process till it didnt stall and kept racing. last week i went through the bike and cleaned all the electical connectors and greased them and replaced the spark plug cap. bike ran flawlessly at the race yesterday. its an 11 with about 80 hrs on it

I had nothing but problems with mine for 2 weeks straight KTM paid for everything AND i didnt even take it back to the dealer i bought it from. I took it to a local dealer and i bought the bike 3 hours away. Good for KTM!!

Really? Has KTM made mention of this...I've not heard this one yet. I hope that's all it is.

Far out mate if your dealer cannot get the bike running right i would be contacting ktm direct with documented evidence of your problems and demand rectification jesus i comPlained about late delivery direct to ktm intternational relations and franz soelhammer (ktms account manager) sent me a no bs email reply and even sent me a gift pack !! ktm is making a big effort in the usa and i cannot believe you are being treated like this

your issue sounds like the fuel pump, i went through it.. cutting out..dieing..sitting..then running fine after for any given amount of time (sometimes 20 min sometimes an hour)

KTM should make right with it... sounds like your dealer isnt doing their part. Try another dealer or call ktm na

I have not had any problems with my '11

So do i.

I have my 350 SX-F Cairoli since 1 year and no problems so far, only oil and tire change.

Love the bike cause of the ideal weight/power balance.

Obviously KTM has to improve their quality, or the quality of the delivery, cause the Keihin throttle body should be the same like in jap bikes, bit makes the most of the troubles in the KTM's.