Sign in to follow this  

Dual Exhaust

im thinking about buying a crf250r years 2006-2009 i was wondering if they was ever any problems the dual exhaust and what exactly are the benefits of the dual exhaust and it there any extra maintenance you need to do because theres dual exhaust?

thanks for everyone's help!

Nothing unusual with my 2009 - the Ti header connects to a Ti mid pipe with a "Y" splitter that feeds the twin mufflers. Supposedly this configuration allows the weight of the smaller mufflers to be further forward, centralizing mass and making the bike handle better. The right side muffler has a smaller diameter output hole than the left side to keep the internal pressures within the mufflers equalized. By spreading out the exhaust across two outlets, there is supposedly a bit less back pressure. The twin pipes are pretty cool looking and the exhaust tone is very different than a single muffler, but I swapped my dual mufflers and mid-pipe out for an FMF Q4 because the dual pipe bikes are notoriously loud. I didn't notice any changes in the handling, and really liked the quieter ride.

there is lotsa sex appeal on those duals, gotta love 'em (;

the dual system is pretty loud, but that doesnt bother me, at all..

I must say my R9 is the best sounding stocker bike out there IMO.

maintanance-wise there is nothing unusual, but instead of one you'll need

two exhaust plugs when washing the bike.. thats all lol

oh, and when repacking your muffler you'll have to do it to two,

but that shouldnt make you wanna change your mind..

they also help to balance the bikes weight, you may laugh but it actually makes sense..

they are not much heavier as a single cause there pretty short..

I'm getting a Pro Circuit full system soon, will not switch to a single

cause I really like the duals..

:smashpc:

thanks for the help everyone but how would you go about switching to a single pipe on a crf that has dual pipes? are there any adjustments that need to be made?

thanks for the help everyone but how would you go about switching to a single pipe on a crf that has dual pipes? are there any adjustments that need to be made?

Remove the duals, Replace with the single, and re jet. Simple as that.

Im also a fan of the duals i run FMF's with a megabomb header, never find my rev limiter :smashpc:

Im also a fan of the duals i run FMF's with a megabomb header, never find my rev limiter :smashpc:

thank you very much sir

:smashpc:

Only as simple as that as long as you buy an aftermarket single system designed for the 06-09 250R, OEM or aftermarket singles for the 04-05 will not mount up without mods.

i love my dual exhaust its so sexy lol i want to put fmf pipes on it but its expensive

My sons o7 has never had any problems, I also like the look of the dual pipes. I'll bet that bike has 200+ hrs on it and they've never been repacked, I know it probably needs it but stock pipes are a pain in the ass to repack.

My sons o7 has never had any problems, I also like the look of the dual pipes. I'll bet that bike has 200+ hrs on it and they've never been repacked, I know it probably needs it but stock pipes are a pain in the ass to repack.

why are they a pain to repack and have you ever had to shim the valves or anything like that?

why are they a pain to repack and have you ever had to shim the valves or anything like that?

Dont buy a race bike if you dont plan on working on it.

All bikes have valves that go bad, some faster than others. The small crf will be more likely to tank if you dont do your job with maintaining it. How many hours can you get on a high strung 125 smoker? Sure the 4stroke is more expensive to repair, but the ride is different.

These arent bikes that are made to last for 200+ hours with out some major engine work. They are at a pretty high state of tune from the factory, that said no motor, tuned like that will be a tank.

So what the intake valves go at 70-150hrs, the motor is easy to work on and if you did your part and checked them before they zero its 2 valves and head gasket--$250. I just did it on mine, it took 4 hours.

Dont buy a race bike if you dont plan on working on it.

All bikes have valves that go bad, some faster than others. The small crf will be more likely to tank if you dont do your job with maintaining it. How many hours can you get on a high strung 125 smoker? Sure the 4stroke is more expensive to repair, but the ride is different.

These arent bikes that are made to last for 200+ hours with out some major engine work. They are at a pretty high state of tune from the factory, that said no motor, tuned like that will be a tank.

So what the intake valves go at 70-150hrs, the motor is easy to work on and if you did your part and checked them before they zero its 2 valves and head gasket--$250. I just did it on mine, it took 4 hours.

i realize that i will be working on a race bike i just wanted to know how often you had to reshim valves on your crf250r

i realize that i will be working on a race bike i just wanted to know how often you had to reshim valves on your crf250r

I doesnt matter, cause once they move its time for new valves

and how is it a pain to repack the dual exhaust.

no harder than repacking a single, just gotta do it twice:thumbsup:

and how is it a pain to repack the dual exhaust.

Stock mufflers are riveted not bolted together like aftermarket.