Sign in to follow this  

Recommended fluids for XR650R

So looking to change the oil on the bike, and it got me thinking. I'm sure, like most vehicles with a huge following, there is a recommended oil and filter brand. As well as other fluids.

So, let me have the goods por favor. :smashpc:

For coolant I'm told it's the blue engine ice.

Edited by SpeedoJosh

I use no particular oil except 20/50..Used to prefer Shell but if it isn't there and cheap any other brand does if it's 20/50...What I've used for 30yrs so I see no need to change,,Normal out of the ground stuff not synthetic for me...Filter..whatever Honda sell or one of those reusable metal ones if you like..People say the fully metal constructed ones are no good..Myself, I dunno as I haven't used one as yet but I like the reusable nature of them..

Edited by Horri

x2 on the 20/50.The filter they practically give away at our shop,Like 2 bucks each?Don't stop at just fluids,check your air filter too!:smashpc:

I don't know what bike you are running so:

For the honda xr 50/80/250/400/650L I use 10w40 mobil 1 synthetic car oil. I have never had any clutch slippage issues, or any other problems and the air cooled engines run considerably cooler than standard oils. If I quit using mobil, I will switch to rotella synthetic. Many locals in my area are having great engine life with rotella standard but I like synthetic.

When I rode crf450's I had slight valve noise with mobil 1 and switched to honda 10w40 with moly in the engine side. Transmission side I used honda trans oil. As for coolant, I will only use Coolanol. I have used engine ice (which I would never run in the winter!), and honda antifreeze which is close to coolanol. But the best year round antifreeze is coolanol.

And all my air filters I use Belray filter oil. I have had dirt get by the NoToil water solouble filter oil.

These are my preferances from my experiences. Some engines sound quieter with different oils.

I run ROTELLA 15w 40 or rotella 5w 40 synthetic in my XR650R. I have even used a quart of each, which ends up being 10w 40. Which ever one I have on hand. I run the dino rotella in all my kids and wifes dirt bikes and i run the 5w 40 synthetic in my jeep and my suzuki burgman 400 scooter and Yammy R6. Both are JASO ma certified so it is OK and recommended for motorcycles. Alot of people say it is energy conserving but it isnt. It says energized on the front of the jug, maybe they cant read? No 40 weight oil is energy conserving. I have run rotella in motorcycles since 94 and it does fine. It is also available everywhere and priced reasonably (unlike most motorcycle oils).

Just bought my bike few months or so ago and have not changed the fork oil or antifreeze yet. Gonna go with 3 weight fork oil. Some say you can use chevy (pink) antifreeze, but I dont know if that is true or not. I use factory air filters and whatever oil filter I can get my hands on. Regularly serviceing your bike is more important than what brand filters you use IMHO. I havent found a chain lube I like very much yet. Im old school and like the old foamy like oil from back in the day, all this new crap looks like wax. I use BALLISTOL on all the cables, levers, throtle tube and pivot points on everything but the suspention. It is also great on firearms. It repels water and is 50 times better than WD40.