Sign in to follow this  

Can you ride a Chinese dirt bike on Forest Service Land?

Can you ride a Chinese dirt bike on Forest Service Land?

Does anyone know? These bikes don't have pink slips.

If you bought the bike brand new you should have got a certificate of origin which you should be able to use to get a title.

If you bought the bike brand new you should have got a certificate of origin which you should be able to use to get a title.

Oh I see...I got the Chinese bike used:cry:

Do you think I am required to get it reg in CA? I don't want to get in trouble by the Ranger.

This is all I found about non-reg bikes

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

I'm pretty sure you'll need to get it registered. They don't care who makes it in AZ, if you don't have an OHV tag, you get a $250 fine. And how do you get the OHV tag, you need to take the title and $25 to the DMV.

One of the hardest challenges you'll find is making sure that your exhaust has a US Forest Service Approved spark arrestor. The USFS has a book of all approved exhausts and devices that they can check model on. I have found that many of the chinese ones have "USFS Approved" stamped on them, but that the USFS database doesn't have it as actually tested... That means you can get a ticket.

Here is the link to the testing information: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/ohv/sparkarrester.shtml

I'm pretty sure you'll need to get it registered. They don't care who makes it in AZ, if you don't have an OHV tag, you get a $250 fine. And how do you get the OHV tag, you need to take the title and $25 to the DMV.

Yup.

The way I read it you need a USDA approved spark arrestor and a brake light.

◆◆ Spark arrestor that is USDA approved.

(ARS § 28-1179A.4)

◆◆ Brakes adequate to stop and hold the

vehicle. (ARS § 28-1179A.1)

◆◆ Muffler or noise dissipative device that prevents

sound above 96 decibels during prescribed

stationary sound testing. (ARS § 28-1179A.3)

◆◆ Eye protection for operators of vehicles not

equipped with a windshield. (ARS § 28-964A)

◆◆ Headlights and taillights for use from dusk to

dawn. (ARS § 28-1179A.2)

◆◆ Safety flag at least 6” by 12” and 8 feet above the

ground on sand dunes or areas designated by the

land management agency. (ARS § 28-1179A.5)

◆◆ Brake light and at least one red rear reflector

(if taillight does not reflect). (ARS § 28-927)

◆◆ License plate securely fastened to the rear of the

OHV and clearly visible. (ARS § 28-2512D.1&2)

◆◆ Rearview mirror. (ARS § 28-964B)

◆◆ Seat and footrests for the operator and passenger

if vehicle is designed to carry a passenger.

(ARS § 28-964B)

Sorry Ca. residents. In Mn., If the bike is bought new, bring the MSO to the state office and get your off-road permit. They DO specify a spark arrestor but since you don't have to have the bike inspected to get the permit, you are on the honor system. (I DO have a spark arrestor, the one that came with the bike and is stamped as such). I wouldn't want to find out the fine if you didn't have a spark arrestor on but if checked for legality on the trails, the officer doesn't have the data base with him on which spark arrestors are marked as approved but really arent, so I'm quite sure you are safe. I HAVE gotten a trail permit on a bike that had no title OR MSO. I just gave them the manufacturer, model number, serial number on the frame and my money.