Sign in to follow this  

Paddle tires/sprockets/chains...

Im aware there are a few different ways of setting up an X for sand use. If you are unaware- the stock X (chain, sprocket) will not work with a paddle tire(kings tire). The tire will hit the swing arm and tear off the mud flap and damage the tire.

Last season we tried a longer chain with the stock 51t rear. It worked well until the chain stretched and could no longer be adjusted. Sloppy chain ended the fun.

This season we used the stock chain and went to a 48t rear. Chain could be adjusted like normal. BUT- The power delivery was really nice in first. 2nd was decent. 4th gear felt like 5th... In 5th gear the bike was not accelerating. Hill climbs were noticeably different. Cant say the 49t will be going to the sand again.

Seeing as the bike goes 85 with stock gearing some top end can come off for the dunes. Im thinking one link added to the chain with a taller rear sprocket to get the rear tire in the right spot(chain slack, tire rub, etc.).

Adding a link and going up to a 53t rear work for anyone?

I've never put a paddle on my x. On a 03 crf 450r that I used to have i rode 13/48 with stock length chain an would remove the mud flap. No issues with rubbing. I have no idea about top speed because i never rode with a gps back then, but the bike had plenty of top speed and was great all around for the dunes.

With a stock x i can see how you could have a problem pulling that 48t chainring. If you have done any mods to your bike ie. exhaust, airbox mod, pink wire, cam, etc. You should have no problem pulling it.

Yeah, the X is ready to go- lots of stuff done to it.

When shooting a straight line with a bunch of ATV's, buggys, and a yz450... That 450 smoked the hell out of our X's. His bike in 5th when Im still in 4th. Pulled every time.

I have never done a sand drag. It was interesting to see how things went though.