Sign in to follow this  

XR200 exaust

my friend has a 2000 xr200,he would like to remove the baffle from the muffler ,he says it's too quiet and he would love some more power,will there actuall be an improvement? we know it'll mess the jetting,before we even try,does anyone know if it'll actually need different jets or just tuning with the air/fuel screw?:smashpc:

You will need to rejet some. It will help power but if you use the diffuser from a 1982-84 ATC250R then power will be the same or even better than with the diffuser removed and the bike will be much quieter than without a baffle. It will be deeper sounding and a bit louder but not obnoxiously so.

Dyno tests on early XR200s showed no peak power gain from removing the insert, but did show an increase in bottom end.

And as Dwight said the rejet is minor. I have a Poweroll 218 motor in one bike with a XRsOnly header and Supertrapp muffler with only minor rejetting. I have another XR200 that is stock with a stock exhaust and any deviation from stock jetting makes it run worst. I don't think you will need a rejet if the insert is removed, maybe raise the needle one notch and/or turn out the mixture screw a bit. If you get too rich throttle response from closed throttle will deteriorate.

I couldn't find an ATC baffle so I removed the stock baffle tube and welded in some 1" tubing.

It's not obnoxiously loud and the bike runs better now.