Sign in to follow this  

450 SXF Head Gasket Leak?

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I recently became the owner of a KTM 450 SXF 2007. I bought the bike used off craigslist and was told by the previous owner that he had changed the piston and rings and head gasket prior to selling me the bike. The bike has had ten hours put on it since the new top end went on. After riding the bike this weekend I noticed the crank case breather valve puffing white smoke out of it after the engine warmed, at one point on the ride the radiator overflow hose was spewing out coolant everywhere while I was climbing some tight technical single track. Im guessing the bike was very hot at this point. I changed the oil on the bike when I came home and the oil appears to have a green tint to it, I'm assuming this is coolant that has entered the oil. The PO told me he was running the motorex 10w-40 that ktm recommends and I'm guessing that its a normal colored oil that doesnt have a green tint to it. Is there any other place in the engine where coolant could be getting into the oil? The water pump maybe? Also is there any way to confirm that this is in fact a head gasket leak? Thanks for any help

Hmm well it could have been synthetic that was drained. The oil that is coming out now is kind of a gray color with a silvery tinge to it. Does not look like standard dark gold brown used oil. The white smoke coming out the breather hose indicates that there is some kind of moisture evaporating out of there right? Is there some kind of test I could preform to make sure its a head gasket leak versus a water pump leak?