PW80 carb help

Just got a PW80 to borrow for a while till my 13 y/o daughter gains a bit of confidence to ride her CRF150 more.

The PW80 has been sitting a long time and will not run. It starts for a 5-10 seconds and then seems to run out of gas. Drained some gas from the tank and it looked crappy. I figure the jets are clogged, but I'm not sure how to remove the carb. There's a little cable coming from the gizmo to the right of the carb that I don't know how to remove. I'm sure it's simple, but I figured I'd ask before breaking it.

So, how do I remove the carb?

Also is the a manual that I can get a PDF copy of around here?

thanks,

:smashpc:

You can get a manual you can read (but not print) from Yamaha Australia. http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

You're referring to the oil-injection hose, on the right side (reach through the opening between exhaust pipe/motor), slide the brass clamp away from the carb, then the hose should just pull off.

There's a 17mm plastic nut which holds the choke cable on, this isn't necessary to remove, but makes it easier. You just need to get it out of the mounting point, so back the nut off and pop it out, then slide everything forward and it'll hang free.

Then loosen the screws on either side of the carb that clamp on the intake hose and intake manifold. Remove the rubber intake hose, then gently twist and pull the carb forward.

Last you'll need to undo the screws which hold the cables and slides on. They're on the top of the carb, after they're out, the top should pop up because of the springs and the slides should just pull out.

Be careful with such a tall rider on the PW80, the nose will be very light so you probably want to stick with keeping her on flat, mostly level surfaces.

Good luck.

The cable is actually a tube from the auto oil injection

It has a brass crimp on it, pull the crimp back then pull HARD on the tube to remove.

Make sure there is 2 stoke oil in the res. (under the seat)

And yes it probably has a lot of varnish in the carb.

If you hadn't noticed, you might want to read the second post I wrote just below yours. For some reason, it didn't appear right away. But I did write it early yesterday.

Thanks, I did miss it.

That's funny about telling me that the front end is light for somebody her size and to keep it in the flat places.....Because we live in the mountains. There are no flat places around here, that's the problem with getting her to ride the 150. It's hare to teach somebody to ride when there's not any nice flat wide open fields to learn in. I was hoping the tiny PW80 would make it easier....Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the manual too.

In that case, buy a KX60 shock. You should be able to find one on eBay fairly cheap, or maybe parts in the TT classified section.

Take the PW80 shock out and replace it with the KX60 shock. When you install it, you'll need to put it on the lowest setting for sag. After it's installed, you can turn it up if you need to.

Besides the shock, you'll need a handful of 1/2" washers (might be 5/8", I forget) to center the shock both in the frame (under the gas tank) and on the swing arm.

Encourage her to lean forward a bit like she would on the 150 going up hills.

Find some of the photos and videos of Fryboy's daughter, Morgan. Show these to your daughter.

Good luck.

In that case, buy a KX60 shock. You should be able to find one on eBay fairly cheap, or maybe parts in the TT classified section.

Take the PW80 shock out and replace it with the KX60 shock. When you install it, you'll need to put it on the lowest setting for sag. After it's installed, you can turn it up if you need to.

Besides the shock, you'll need a handful of 1/2" washers (might be 5/8", I forget) to center the shock both in the frame (under the gas tank) and on the swing arm.

Encourage her to lean forward a bit like she would on the 150 going up hills.

Find some of the photos and videos of Fryboy's daughter, Morgan. Show these to your daughter.

Good luck.

Thanks for the compliment Smac :smashpc:

• Like 1

No problemo. For some reason, girls seem to pick up the "I can do this" spirit from watching other girls. It also doesn't hurt to get mom involved. I can't explain this either, my daughter will follow her mom around all day. Often, she'll be pushing her mom to go faster. I don't have video, but I wish I did. Mom fouled a plug on her bike, my daughter was crawling up her butt trying to get her to go faster (which wasn't happening, the bike was going as fast as it could under the circumstance).

Me? The moment I turn a corner and she can't see me any more, she instantly thinks I've teleported miles away and will never come back for her.

Different scene-areo (Sp?) here. Mom won't learn to ride....I just the tag renewal notice in the mail for her XT225, so it's been a year. :smashpc:

Maybe the PW80 will get her rolling too?? It'll definetly need more rear shock!!

I won't tell her you said that.

Since the PW is borrowed, I won't advise you to drill an extra shock-mount hole in the frame, but the KX60 shock is a cheap reversible mod that works well for riders outside of what the bike was designed for.

IIRC, the manual states 80lbs max. I'm over 200 and the shock handles it pretty well unless I try things like riding through a 3 foot deep and six foot wide ditch in our back yard. That causes it to bottom out. It also doesn't feel very good.

But on tamer trails, it'll be fine with the heavy shock.